90 is the new 80

Oh dear, where are my manners…for your listening pleasure: https://soundcloud.com/xaikalat/tiesto-in-search-of-sunrise-7?ref=clipboard

So after these several months of trying to readjust and see why I wasn’t reaching the same results. I think that the new middle fan speed is 90% or at least 90 makes the beans move and profiles work much closer to than what I have been tasting in these past couple months. Also a second point popped into my head that if a profile works for someone and not another, maybe it might be best to adjust the fan instead of the heat…I’ll be attempting that on profiles I thought were too much for me and see if that changes things.

It also dawned on me that I could also be seeing different results because my beans could be aging quickly as they aren’t in the best storage conditions (air tight and constant temp). But that still does not account for the height that the beans rotate at…it is a bit of a conundrum for me. Coming from smelling fruit notes coming out of the roaster right before I drop to now almost dead roasts. Even trying the profile “Sum Man…” at a 90 fan roasts lighter and less developed than expected, dropping within 30s of first pop of first crack. In the before times this would be way too much and I would have flown by the fruits by at least 10s and now it seems like I should have let it run much further. More testing and thoughts to come, any questions or opinions welcome.

So running some tests it is hard to tell with precision what is “truth” is… and I’m not going to throw around the word ‘scientific’ like I’m one of those cool kids who wear glasses with no lenses, as to not give any false pretense about how I’m approaching this problem.

What I can say is that my roasts are more underdeveloped than when I had first made some truly delicious profiles some odd 8 to 10 months ago. To me that means that less energy is getting to or transferred from roaster to beans. I have guesses but I do not know where the issue stems from. I just want to understand how my roaster handles so I can adjust profiles to get back to roasting truly exceptional coffee. What I can say for sure is that a higher fan itself is not going to fix this, the fan is a polishing step and this issue requires more than a step. The amount of energy taken on an incline is slightly less than a flat segment in that temp range. The energy/wattage consumption does increase as the temp increases. Where I used to approach roasting on this machine, that the higher the slope the more power was needed. Where each segment could be a dial and simply increasing slope would be increasing the power (wattage used) within that segment. I won’t know for sure without roasting more if this is true or has changed. I did not have a multimeter connected when I first started roasting so I cannot be certain about my past observations but that was the basis for how I created/corrected profiles previously.

After doing more temp test trials it does seem there are some slight differences, but nothing that should really effect the roasting as much as was observed. The only thing I can think that fits with the results of the beans generally not tasting as popping is that they are old and since I live in a very warm and humid climate I may have monsooned my beans. I guess I will just have to spend more time in yellow and overall use less fan to increase conduction and get more chocolate notes than fruity notes…only the coffee gods will know for sure.

Hm, I am surprised by the music choice. The only downside is that Tiesto is a bit for masses, a bit or a lot commercial. You could pick some Detroit or Chicago sounds :smile:

Cheers

Yea I would say Tiesto now is for the masses but I chose ISoS7 because I think it was the peak of his journey from Trance and very much enjoy the almost seamless transitions and the easy-to-follow melody. I sometimes run and listen to Kompact or DirtyBirds but I can’t say the newer forms of music coming out have the same appeal to me for various reasons. But this leads me into something more inline of why I started this thread.

After having trouble adjusting profiles to fit with the beans (like with tiesto’s older discography) it was a nice comfort to go back almost to the beginning to reevaluate the problems I was having. From looking at and re-adjusting my brewing water to be what it used to, rereading previous thoughts and understandings helped recenter me back, as I now roast I am getting closer back to my old brew.

In light of more roasting, I had another thought. Since my Home roaster was from the original kickstarter batch maybe it is possible that my probe is placed (maybe not significantly) in a different location, thus effecting the power/heat/underdeveloped issue I am having. It may make sense why some people did not see the same results as I was when using a profile I provided. I originally though that since we have different environments with different room temps and humidity that can also effect the roast, which it does. But this is more than compensating for weather alterations, which happen frequently where I live and I move the profile about 10* hotter or a lightly higher ROR in a segment but end relatively at the same temp. Though this issue I am having is more like the probe feels the heat from the coils because it’s closer and this in turn causes less overall heat to reach the beans. But the beans still do not reach as high along the wall at the same fan setting. And if my beans were too old and too dry than would it not stand to reason, that they would be over developed and not underdeveloped?