Anyone had any luck roasting Costa Rican coffees?

Got a 5 lb bag from Sweet Maria’s and have been trying various profiles to obtain something enjoyable–not too acidic, not too dark. Unfortunately everyone profile or tweak I’ve made tends towards too much acidity, and no body. I’ve tried several things and am at a loss to know what to try next.

Anybody had any profiles that have done well for them with this origin?

I feel ya, and sorry if I’m being “that guy”, trying to find a workable profile is like a game of clue. 5lbs should get you where you are going. Besides the stuff that is too underdeveloped I would suggest saving the “failed” roasts somewhere acceptable. I’ve see that sometimes the profile is not bad, but the beans without a long rest period won’t taste good or like anything at all.

Would you be able to post some of your profiles and describe the flavors your getting? Did you note when you were getting 1c if so when are those time and temps?

I agree with Deven that this first thing to try is to let the roasted beans rest for a minimum of 3 days, probably 5. The taste seems to fill in a bit with a few days rest.

@Kvangels - not sure what did you test or not, but I think it does not work exactly the way you seem to be describing. Though you can try multiple different profiles (and I do exactly that a lot) its not that some of those will actually work. Its way more like (at least for me) that using a few selected different profiles, that represent very different approaches, I can sort of check how the bean reacts to that approach (but I can not use it as is, I need to prolong it and stop manually to have my desired level from all of them). The other approach, which I would think is more valid for your situation, is choosing a close enough working profile (some that was for simillar region/ bean type/altitude … whatever) making a prolonged version changing the end of it, and making a set of roasts separated by say 30s in length (ending the roast manually) up to a point where you are sure you dont want to go any darker (even then I recommend doing one more, it surprised me a lot of times that a roast way longer that I would think of trying was actually quite good for me - acidic light roast lover - so it might totally satisfy you .)) then let it rest a day (or two three) and then do taste all of them side by side … pick one with the most potential for what you want, and start tuning that in small steps and changes.
I am pretty sure you could just taky any profile either stock Ikawa or Devens or Ikawa Espresso ones … does not matter too much … and get a result close to what you would like by finding the right roast level and then small tuning in the end. Especially when you want it less acidic, as I feel making it more sweet and less acidic is easier than picking the right profile for florals, or some specific fruitiness, acidity etc … The beans are what they are … you might not like the way their acidity behaves … but when you go for more sweetness less acidity there should be a “sweet spot” on almost any profile giving you that. You may be also getting more “roast” tastes at that point which may ask for more rest to reduce it, but you should be able to find a roast level with normal (not extremes like 4s roast of cause) profiles that should be right there - most sweetness least acidity. Of cause also the potential for sweetness is different for any given bean, so … you might not get is as sweet as you might wish (CostaRicans are not on the sweetest side from what I recall - colombia and brazil tend to be way more sweet with colombia being more on the sweet and fruity/floral side and brazil more on sweet nutty and somewhat fruity side tipycally, costa ricans have quite often a taste I lack english word for - its also present in some type of red vines, and if this is what you do not like about your costa rica and not acidity, then I am not sure you can remove it without “burning” the coffee, as I remember it its there in light and darker roasts, it does not go away)

I just ordered 5lbs of this https://www.sweetmarias.com/costa-rica-don-mayo-la-ladera-2018.html from SM.
What did you get @Kvangels?

Sorry for my late response. Extremely busy week, and was out of town over the weekend.

The coffee I purchased from Sweet Marias was the Costa Rica Helsar Magdalena Vega.

How I’ve been attempting to roast this bean (as with others) is that I research which Ikawa pre-loaded profiles are closest to the origin qualities of the bean I roasted. Since Ikawa has no Costa Rica profile, I tried a few and found the Andino to be the most palatable. Thereafter I tend to modify the profile as needed to stretch out or speed up different parts of the roast until it’s to my liking (I’ve only ever purchased one green coffee from Sweet Maria’s where I found that an Ikawa profile complimented it well without needing alteration). This is largely an experimental process, with multiple trials and errors.

This particular bean in general seems to be very acidic, regardless of how I roast it. Perhaps that is in part due to its origin qualities, but it’s a bit excessive for my liking.

Below is the latest profile I’ve been using. For tasting notes, I’m getting a strong sour taste of some sort. Perhaps lemon, though difficult to put my finger on. Body is okay.

I would really love to tame the sourness of this coffee, and sweeten it more if possible.

These are the times the bean reaches various stages of the roast using this profile:

Pale: 3:30
Yellow: 4:00
Orange: 4:30
Tan: 5:30
Brown: 6:30
1st Crack: 6:57, lasting through 7:47
Stopped profile at 8:30 (the end of the actual profile).

‘Costa Rica 8’ freshly roasted by @ikawacoffee, here’s the recipe #IKAWAHOME - https://share.ikawa.support/profile_home/?CAESEPyktKo0eUU/lUxM93Tdo1gaDENvc3RhIFJpY2EgOCIFCAAQ9AMiBgigCRDvDSIGCIgQEJcPIgYI9hMQyhEiBgicHBCYEyIGCNknEKkTKgUIABDKASoGCLMJELgBKgYI2ScQzAEwAToGCNwwEKoB

Pavel, just rereading your post now. It’s reassuring to know that in your experience Costa Rican coffees tend to be not as sweet. This is my first time ever roasting from Costa Rican coffee, and it’s definitely been noticeable. I’m tempted to roast darker than I typically would as a next step, and probably will soon.

I will also try letting my beans rest longer, as you suggest Deven. I tend to roast the evening before consuming. I’ve had some fantastic results doing this (the wet-processed Ethiopian I roasted just before starting this bean was particularly enjoyable), but I’m seeing it’s a common suggestion of this forum to let coffees rest a few days. I will also start trying this as well.

I’ll give your profile a try Wednesday when my beans come in. For the resting period it’s hard for me what to say is good. I’ve taken my “failed” roasts after a couple of days with no aroma and average coffee like notes, dumped them in the ikawa storage container (tightpac) and some twenty odd days when that round of profiles were done. And I went to finish of the failed coffee, a bouquet of aroma wafting out when I opened the container. Personally I much rather create and use profiles that taste good ASAP considering the batch size. But stemming from what Cooley said a while back about 10 days rest I’ve been deciding to “toss” them in the container instead of my grinder bag.

I think from looking at the profile you are allready quite dark (did you measure moisture loss? it would be interesting to know …) … I think acidity will not change much with longer rest, its more to get rid of some roast tastes and have the taste more rounded and sort of “behaved” … as the very fresh roast can be sort of “jagged”.

May look through Devens posts, I remember he gave some hints as to where in the process do those acids change into some other components and where you can expect to modify the sweetness … so that you may have some ideas to try out with the profile.

My gut feeling would be to make the profile smoother and longer (more opportunities to convert those acids into something else), and stop sooner after the crack ends. I would get rid of that bumps in the middle, not for some particular reason but my intuition is - complex profile tends to produce complex tasting coffee so I would make it very simple curve. If I remember it well extendind one part of the profile then should help you convert more acids, but I would for sure start with a simple shape and a long profile.

Pavel, I considered what you said, and reread some of Deven’s other posts, and deleted the third point in the profile and kept everything else pretty much the same. I have not yet had the chance to measure the moisture content of any of my beans unfortunately. That aside, deleting the third point completely calmed the acidity down. Coffee had much more body and balance, and was overall more enjoyable.

Here’s what I ended up with. I just roasted my last few batches this way, as I was starting to run low on this bean. Profile is included below if anyone would like to try it. Thanks for the help everyone! Time to move onto my dry processed Brazil.

‘Costa Rica 14’ freshly roasted by @ikawacoffee, here’s the recipe #IKAWAHOME - https://share.ikawa.support/profile_home/?CAESEAlPchrcUkWPiPXX4ythGLAaDUNvc3RhIFJpY2EgMTQiBQgAEPQDIgYIoAkQ7w0iBgjCERDoESIGCLIZEJQTIgYIySUQxhMqBQgAEMMBKgYIswkQuAEqBgjJJRDCATABOgYIzC4QpwE=

Great to hear you had succesfull roasts that turned the way you intended. Moisture loss is actually really easy as you do not need to measure mosture at all … you only need to weight the before roast and after roast, and a little calculation gives you percents of moisture loss :)) (which I think is actually not only moisture loss but overall weight loss as not only water is lost, but anyway I think we usually refer to this percentage as moisture loss :)))

I’ve been roasting some more of the Coata Rican I got and…,well I was going to says it’s been more difficult than other beans, but as I think about…it’s more like the norm for me in this learning/discovering to roast. But I have noticed that I feel more comfortable taking on this new bean. Anyways, I’ve tried your (@Kvangels) Costa Rica 14 and Jboutte’s Ethiopian as my starter/sample the bean, so to say. They were good, not bad but like all of our roasts (the ones I also tried, Brazil2 7(v.2), marshal etheo, A) so far have left me with a feel of “meh”. The reason I say I’m missing stuff is because in my latest round of 7 roasts I did trying to hone in, was because when I would leave the room the roaster was in and come back the room/ parts of the roast would smell of nugget (fig/grape nugget), fruity pebbles, welches grape jam. But usually around the vent smelled bakey/nothing really. I’m wondering if this is just an indicator of how i should brew…fine ground with more water. Or am I missing the mark, getting the beans on the right bean temp ROR and then loosing it because of some literally unseen changes. This makes me think that I really need to get another thermometer to measure bean temp like the Ikawa Pro. Also makes me think that the pro version should allow the user to decide which probe the heating element should be based on, but that’s neither here nor there.

Lastly, I feel like this Costa Rica grape nugget needs some constant up and up heat. Where there are no flats. That’s just a thought that I’ll be basing my next round of roasts on. Which won’t be probably for another week until I finish some coffee and get more containers to hold beans…me thinks I have an addiction. Well can’t stop now when having so much fun and getting so caffeinated. :smile:

https://share.ikawa.support/profile_home/?CAESENbbPPGAiUBMgaKjI6yvS6QaEU5lZ2F0aXZlIHRlbXBhZGoyIgUIABD0AyIGCLwHELsTIgYIrwwQwhAiBgiwHBCgEyIGCPsgEJgTKgUIABDtASoGCJQOENYBKgYI+yAQxQEwAToGCMoqENMB

Original version listed below, it was coffee like but sharp

https://share.ikawa.support/profile_home/?CAESEN91/0npOkmlgoOm9L1um8UaD05lZ2F0aXZlIGZhbmFkaiIFCAAQ9AMiBgjuBBC7EyIGCNkXENsSKgUIABDtASoGCJQOENYBKgYI2RcQxQEwAToGCKghENMB

You can control with either probe input on the pro v3! It’s freakin cool.
When I have the experience of blowing past the goodness like you described sometimes a lower charge temp. helps.

I wouldn’t say exaclty that I’m blowing past it, it’s more like the flavor comes way before my expectation of it to be. I’ll try to move the charge temp in the next round. Today I did a couple batches with my “normal” log curve and maybe I have some bias, but generally today the coffee was coming out softer with lots more body, just on the nose, then all of last week. Maybe I prefer my usual roast profile where the nose becomes fruity around 1C (sometimes, of course :). Also in my normal profile I try to compete with the complexity of a high charge profile type (remember I consider anything over 250-280*F/min as either a medium or high charge and now considered as a whole 'nother profile type) When I drank the “Neg Temp adj” it was more lemon juice and palatable, than “Neg fanadj” which was just tomato and sour (not good), even 10 days post roast. Neither were close to good immediatily after roasting. And I grow weary of waiting 10 days to taste a profile and this last week makes me want to gear towards making something that is drinkable immediately and no more than 2-3 days rest before its finishied.

Unlike the Hassan and Shakisko, Espresso style profiles where the profiles yield a very complex but yet so very vague flavor variety, at least in the aeropress and to my immense lack of understanding on how to alter that profile type. So if people can make a thread to talk about those in better depth than I know how, it would be very informative. And since I don’t get a super clear and full flavor at least by comparison, I enjoy (for now), and will at least play in my profile type until I feel comfortable/bored.

I’ve got some small amounts of honey processed Costa Rican’s in now. Will post up if I find something good.
It is difficult in the UK to find anything other than Honey processed CR’s just now.

Costa Rica Dona Daisy Finca Don Pepe red honey geisha.
Greens from HasBean UK. 89 pt roaster notes Lemon, white sugar, floral, orange
“let 1C finish don’t let it go anywhere near 2nd”.

‘CRGeisha#pro’ freshly roasted by @ikawacoffee, here’s the recipe #IKAWAHOME - https://share.ikawa.support/profile_home/?CAESEA/RLLUaM03io85rK99Y6EgaDENSR2Vpc2hhI3BybyIFCAAQ9AMiBgiPDhDdDyIGCPATEKMRIgYIvhwQrRIiBgidKhDsEioFCAAQyQEqBgidKhCqATABOgYI4C8Q1wE=

I adapted this from the inlet Brewers cup geisha profile on the Ikawa pro library. Note no preheat. Nice even roast. 1C 7:10 stopped 8:10 moisture loss 11.75%

4 days post roast. Brewed in Kalita 155.
Dry aroma of intense orange blossom on grinding.
In the cup it is exceptionally sweet. Body is very light. Intense orange blossom flavour with a sweet lemon edge. Aftertaste is a long lingering white sugar and lemon.

This is the first time I’ve tasted or roasted geisha. I think this is a pretty decent roast. Not sure how much of a factor the red honey process plays in the sweetness. To my taste this is verging on oversweet.

I have another couple of honey process non geishas to try. It will be interesting to see how they fare on this profile.

Thought I would add a little about subsequent brews as it would not be the first time with an Ikawa roast where the beans changed markedly after the first day of opening.

I brewed Day 5 in the V60 and it had lost the over sweetness and had more lemon sugar candy coming through. Day 6 as an immersion was quite similar to the V60 but with a noticeable effervescence to the acidity. So overall, very nice.

https://share.ikawa.support/profile_home/?CAESEFfIvAgX9EzKp2iSG2vMWzIaFVJhbyA1LjMwLjE4IDQwMCwyOTN2MiIFCAAQ9AMiBgi8AxCfDiIGCPoDEKgLIgYIrA0Q1Q8iBgiNGxC4EyIGCK8kEOkUKgUIABDbASoGCIIRENwBKgYIryQQuQEwAToGCJksEMwB

It’s not great but it’s definitely in the region of “classic coffee” type profile. (The one where you open the bag and the room smells like coffee.) if you try it, I would definitely elongate the second curve of the profile. Because this one was way too fast. I’m out of my Costa Rican until my next order.

Yellow @3:15
1st @ 6:10
2nd and drop @ 7:19