Best brewer? Is this the one?

v60
brewing

Well … its a multitool … you can use it for pourover, immersion style, and cold drip, and it has a scale in the base connected vis bluetooth with an app.
That is some badic summary.

And … it looks really goood :wink:

I was just reading about the (very old) Nel Drip system (the first time I have heard of it). Seems it has been used for a long time in Japan and some coffee shops over there swear by it.

Apparently it produces very good coffee.

For example it is used at the Münch in Osaka Japan to produce coffee that costs $900 per cup — made from 22 year aged beans and coffee is then processed in wooden barrels (not clear how long it stays in the barrel). Apparently the brewing process for the single cup takes over an hour (or maybe up to 4 hours it is not clear).

https://matchmadecoffee.com/the-munch-coffee-in-japan-costs-900/

And this video also shows the shop and owner at 6:50

I’ve never used it, but I like the concept of the Breville Oracle

@jmuir2009 I’ve seen that video and I love the cups from the kindergarten teacher who turned barista.

Interesting Kickstarter project???

OH MY God, I now understand why the decent espresso machine is like at least three evolutions beyond every other coffee-making machine out there (except maybe the bkon). But as espresso machines go, it is simply incomparable to any other machine. I think I’ll have to get one (although it may be a few years). It would be worth it just to be able to learn about the effects of discrete variables over which no other machine can offer control. My recent experience has taught me a lot about coffee, and when I just happened to remember the decent espresso machine existed a few days ago, and I looked into it again, I realized it is so much better than anything else out there.

About a year ago, I decided my coffee obsession wasn’t taking up enough of my life, so I got a part-time job as a barista. It’s a busy shop, and I probably make about 150 shots of espresso on an average day. It has proven to be pretty much what I wanted - a long-term exposure to the everyday realities of coffee quality and what I can do to improve them (at least for myself if not others). I quickly developed a reputation as the coffee guy by talking about coffee whenever possible, doing fancy distribution techniques, using only the naked portafilters while crouching over to look at every shot pull, and of course bringing in my own roasts. I also work at the roastery occasionally (it’s a small chain of specialty cafes that roasts its own coffee). The company’s espresso machines are all older la marzoccos - the one I’ve used the most is either a GB5 or something very similar to it. Anyway, I now have a lot of experience of what it’s like in specialty coffee (most of it is still pretty bad), and what it’s like to make espresso in a fairly traditional way.

The traditional way is…meh. It gets better if you have some pressure profiling and know how to use it, better still if you add a PID based on the grouphead temperature instead of the boiler temperature which begins to address the issues of thermal consistency. But just the way the Decent does temperature control alone (not including its other groundbreaking features) puts it two generations ahead of every other machine I’ve ever seen. It changes the temperature hotter OR colder almost instantly in the top of the brew basket where the thermometer for controlling water temp. is located. It can also change the water flow into the coffee at command (including stopping it partway through the shot - which would destroy the shot on any standard semi-automatic espresso machine.)

Add to that the smart preinfusion technology (not just some bs marketing kinda “smart” either, you can look it up in Scott Rao’s blog - that is some brilliant tech), the flow and gravimetric profiling, (and therefore the ability to reverse engineer a shot from any machine, aka the decent can be every other machine that you can weigh a shot coming out of), and i’m starting to wonder how anyone could improve the concept of an espresso machine further… My favorite part is the endless control the software gives you - you don’t just set things to certain levels, you can set (like over 100) different rates of change in (like 6) different parameters throughout one shot. You don’t just tell it what to do, you tell it, “if x happens, then do y. if not, continue with w until z or x happens.” Or you can just have it pump out 9 bar if you want - literally anything you want. After years of experimenting with espresso at home and in a commercial setting, I can’t think of one feature the decent espresso machine DOESN’T offer - that I would remotely want in an espresso machine. Even the steam wand is amazing! The one at the cafe is super wet all the time, and that sucks.

I swear I’m not being paid by decent or something :D. I am a merely a shameless fanboy, not an actual owner of the machine. But it has Scott Rao’s ringing endorsement, and his is one of the few opinions in coffee I trust. After checking it out myself and having seen through the lens of typical espresso making, my mind was so blown I had to come back to this old thread and write this long post. Thanks for reading!

Yeah … I have to say I was totally obsessed with it from day one when I have read about it … its just for the first time I see someone thinking about espresso machine the way I did (I think I mentioned I was so unhappy with what was on the market that I was even thinking of creating a machine for espresso myself … and I can say DE1+ went in some paths way way further than I imagined, yet others remain unexplored :smiley: ) I love the controll it seems to offer. And if I was not in the absolutely manual no electronics used camp at the moment I would allready have one at home. I feel a strong urge to order every day :slight_smile: so I most probably soon will. Though I can replicate a lot of what is happening using my equipment, it just seems like I have to change my brewing paradigm once again :smiley: yeeeeeeaaaah … soon.