Burr Grinder Recommendations

grinder
brewing

Even with the best coffee and roasts, we know we need to grind the coffee well to have it taste amazing.

What are your top espresso and/ or filter burr grinder recommendations for people to include in their kitchen?

It’s not really a recommendation as I don’t have a lot of experience with other units, but I love my Bratza Virtuose/Estatto pairing. It’s a bit of an engineering kludge (effectively the Estatto is a set of scales that cuts the power to the grinder when enough has come through while jamming the grinder’s timing device) and took a while to get working, but once everything was in place it’s worked perfectly ever since. I don’t know if the grind is fine enough for Turkish but it does Aeropressos a treat.

Wow! First to post - I didn’t expect that!

Thanks Paul! And welcome! The Baratza Virtuoso was the first grinder that IKAWA purchased. Has worked great for us

Hi Geoff. It’s terrific value, and the Estatto makes it a precision tool. In fact, the main reason I’ve been disinclined to upgrade would be the prospect of losing the Estatto for a doser. That said, I’ve been using a hand grinder (Hario Skerton) for the coffee coming out my new IKAWA roaster as it’s better with the smaller quantities. What did you move on to?

To some this suggestion may seem a bit like hard work, especially if drinking or making a lot of coffee per day, but I am a huge fan of manual grinders!

My recommendation would be the Orphan Espresso (OE) Lido-e. The ‘e’ denotes espresso & the adjustment rings are specifically threaded for the fine adjustments often necessary for ‘dialing in’ an espresso shot. Beautifully engineered, with precision 48mm Etzinger Swiss Steel Conical Grinding Burr Set; “Swiss burr manufacturer by the name of Christian Etzinger, who had developed a fine set of burrs for use in Baratza’s Preciso grinders. Etzinger then engineered a burr set of such outstanding quality, it was almost too precise.”

The great thing about manual grinders is they have less expensive electronic parts, so one can afford improved output/grind quality at a reduced cost. There is also less to go ‘wrong’ and hand grinders are generally easier to disassemble, maintain & clean.

For me a manual grinder is a win, win and I find the ‘daily grind’ quite satisfying!

The ROK manual grinder is incredible - produces the same or better quality than a professional electric grinder for about 20% of the price. Less convenient, but it only takes a minute (60 turns of the crank per cup)

Hello @Christo-Faulds :smiley:

Yeah. Manual grinders lover here too.

I will first go through my experience, and then make some preliminary conclusions (though some heavy testing is still ahead)

I started with Barratza Vario Home, and some Hario hand grinder, but I have soon found their limitations, and started to want to explore with some better burrs, yet not wanting to spend too much money on motors and other parts that I as a home barista do not need.
So - I went for OE Lido2. And like a month after the purchase I sold my Vario, as the lido was like multiple times better for espresso. Then after some time and a lot of thinking about OE Pharos, or HG-1, I have bought large burr Mahlgut MG-1 (german maker, very nice man actually, and the biggest burrs I could get easilly) … and I did all my espressos on MG1 since then, using lido2 for alternatives and turkish where it is simply unbeatable so far. Then, just because I loved the looks I have bough Commandante C40 at Budapest at WOC. Love it … use it for filter now since its particle distribution curve seems to be the tightest if those I own. Then … I backed Aergrind … made by Knock :slight_smile: … and … hey … that is a crazy little grinder, very good, capable of very fine and coarse grinds, very very small, stepless. Tadaa - I do have a grinder for traveling needs (and … well for any oter needs too … but it shines at its size:performance ratio)
And just a few days ago I backed Hiku - at the same time learning that all my grinder except of MG1 had simillar size of inner burr (around 30mm - and MG1 48mm) and seeing a big chance of raising quality in the smaller format with its 41mm inner burr. That one is yet to show its potential :smiley:

Now … what are my findings? Well … one very important may be, that once you start exploring that high end hand grinder territory, it can cost quite a lot of money :smiley: buying one hand grinder is not expensive, getting many that is completely different story :D.Another could be, that any one of those could be fine to own and use (for espresso stepless is rather important, but even commandante c40 with its stepped adjustment should be capable of great espresso) … yet when I can compare they have each their strong and weak sides. MG1 is great for espresso, but not as much for filter. its distribution curve is not that tight, yet the taste profile is lovely. Commandante is amazing filter grinder, and though stepped the quality of grind is great for espresso (just not infinitely adjustable). Lido2 is a beast. I call it handgr(anade)inder :))) its pretty big. it has problems holding the settings, its hard to hold and very hard to grind espresso from light roasted dense beans. Yet I love very much the taste of any coffee made with it, and I would say its so far my best for overall use. And its crazy precisely concentric and can grind as fine that is hard to get even close to with another grinder. If you have the time to make a powder out of your coffee (its takes some) its simply amazing for ibrick. Aergrind is amazingly small and performs outstandingly well for its size and price… these days I recommend Aergrind to anyone that would like to have a nice low priced very good small easy to grind with and steppless grinder.

But, at least for me, they all have their place on my table … and use all of them regularly.
Still some more including Hiku are coming … and then I will do some deeper testing, particle distribution curves, sensorical testing, so … will have a bit more to say when armed with that data.

Hmmm
Hand grinders rock ! :smiley:

PS.: If I had the money and place for it I would probably like to get HG-1 or EG-1 … I just love the design. Any owner of those here to share experience?

@lankamike - hello :slight_smile: Did not have a chance to put my hands on ROK. Can you please tell me how many grams for that 60 turns, and what type of beans and roast? Its a good measure of how fast the grinder is … I can add some numbers from the ones I have at hand.

The Rok hopper holds about 20 grams. i don’t count each time, i just counted once, a long time ago… i think it was with espresso colombian. Takes about 30 seconds.

Just to add … there is one a bit time consuming way of using any cheap grinder and yet getting coffee that is better then with the most expensive grinders one can buy … using something like a Kruve Sifter, and separate just the right spectrum of sizes for the task. Have tested it a lot, and if I have the times it helps with clarity even if I use expensive grinder, so it for sure will make a world of difference with say porlex or hario grindes. It just takes time, and you have to either discard the fines, or have some use for them (like using it for turkish)

Hmm … I will put this one here because its related, but please admins if this was not to put here or in this community let me know ok?

There is new Hiku grinder from Kanso on Kickstarter. I guess it looks very promissing, having way bigger inner burr than most I have at home, and if done right it might be a great oveall hand grinder. Also there is now a stretch goal of possibly getting TiN coated burrs if some pledge level is reached, so … if that could be done it would be even more interesting (dont know of any simillar sized hand grinder with a TiN coated burrs) I allready pledged to add this one to my home collection … :slight_smile:

So - if you are contemplating getting some high-end hand grinder, it might be of interest for you. (And if you have been bitten by that hand grinder bug like me, you know for sure what to do :smiley: )

@lankamike - so 20g of light toasted Rwanda. Mahlgut MG1 14 revolutions 7s, Commandante 70 revolutions 40s … I will add the other two later when i can grind some more

@pavel That’s an enormous difference. I’ve not seen a Mahlgut - does it have a lot more leverage?

Another one to the set … Lido2. … 20g of Kenya light roast … 40 revolutions 24s

Hey @Paul — its this one baby
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JkBiRSPH6r4

Not for the fainhearted, its quite big and asks for lots or power to grind …
Also i think the maker has stopped selling them, it was made by two people in germany … now they have almost ready a batery powered electrical one …mola-e

Just a word for the Niche Zero? Crowdfunded and getting excellent technical reviews for a Home machine. Cannot wait to get mine.

I use a MBK Hausgrind hand grinder. I’m only grinding small amounts for filter.

They also make the popular Feldgrind which is basically a more portable version. Similar results in the cup but less easy to grind I find. A new model is in the offing.

Prior to the Hausgrind, I had a Hario Skerton but would not recommend.

If money is no object then the Maholnig EK seems to be hard to beat…or so I am told. Out of my league!

Made by Knock grinders seem to be really very good, judging from the performance of the smallest of the pack.
EK? I am no sure if we would be too happy with it, had we the resources to get one. Grind quality and tight distribution curve - for sure, but from user comfort POV its nothing to speak about, and its Huge :wink:

Niche zero looks like a very nice grinder. A bit crazy design (but nice and fitting the target audience) and the burr size and slow rpm … that sounds really good.
Looking fireward to hearing about your experience once its in your hands.