Can’t Connect to Roaster

Now it’s happened…I don’t know if this is related to the iOS 13 issue that someone posted or not, but I can’t connect to my roaster. It was working for about 2 weeks since I got this roaster.

I tried

• turning the roaster off for at least 30 minutes and turning it on again, or turning it on/off multiple times
  • deleting the iOS app and reinstalling it again. I even signed up using a new email account and that didn’t work either.
  • restarting my iPhone
  • installing the iOS app on an iPad Pro and an IPad Air 2(slightly older operating system) - these didn’t work.
  • the Ikawa app simply indicates “Looking for roaster…” and nothing happens. If I turn off/on the Bluetooth signal on the iPhone, the app will then indicate “Connecting” but it never connects.
  • I can see the roaster info details (Bluetooth name, roaster ID, type, etc…) in the Ikawa system settings when I turn the Bluetooth off and then on again.
  • I also tried to enable “update roaster firmware” and when the pop-up screen for the Firmware Update (asking whether you want to update Later or Update Now), the app freezes and becomes unresponsive and nothing happens.
  • If I try to run the roaster (which should have the last profile that I ran in memory), the temperature doesn’t increase. It seems to just be the cooling fan and then it stops.

I was creating new profiles on the app when this whole thing started. I don’t know whether the roaster is in some sort of failed firmware update. Is there a way to factory reset the roaster?

Any other tips on how I might troubleshoot this? I’ve already emailed support but since it’s the weekend, I won’t hear back until Monday hopefully.

Thanks and Regards,
Jonah

Hi, I dont really have any more tips. I´m also having issues connecting but I can always get it to work. Usually I start up the roaster and then the ikawa-app. No connection. Then I disable BT on my iPhone and enable it again after 10 seconds and then usually I can connect to the roaster. Sometime I have to do it a couple of times though.
Pre iOS 13 I never had any issues so I think Ikawa has a potential problem at hand here that needs fixing.

I really hope Ikawa will fix it for you asap. I can´t stand being without my roaster so I feel your pain!

Have you heard back from Ikawa support?

They had to replace the roaster as they concluded that it was a hardware issue rather than software. It just wouldn’t connect even with older versions of the IOS. With the new roaster, I still have to turn Bluetooth off/on every time, but at least it works.

If already done please ignore: Try opening your bluetooth settings (on phone) and search for available devices while the roaster is on. I think it is the security setting on the phone, or bluetooth firmware on the phone, possibly.

FWIW: The time it took for the APP to recognise the roaster took an unusual long time at my last two sessions (both after I upgraded to iOS13). Once established, I had no further problems during the session of multiple roasts.

I´m having the same issues every time when connecting to roaster. BT off and on again and sometimes I have to turn roaster off and on again as well. I hope they sort it out soon.

the bluetooth connection issue I had was when I tried connecting in winter when the Ikawa home roaster was stored in my cold utility room, and it failed to connect until I took the roaster into a warmer room to warm through, then it connected!