Colombia finca la chorrera washed caturra sc decaf

is it possible that due to the process involved (open the pores of the beans and then wash them so you rinse out the cafeine) you also rinse out much of the other volatile agents and oils, making them less dense and thus they’re affected by the heat sooner as they have a lower heat capacity? It at least explains why usually decaf tastes ‘flat’. Then again this sugarcane method might do things differently which is why a lot of flavour remains. Also if they’re lighter you would expect to put in more beans than usual to reach the 50g @pavel is this something you have noticed?

It’s definitely possible, but truthfully I don’t know what is actually going on. I know Mike at Swiss Water Decaf is doing a lot of really interesting research and their facility is amazingly scientific. https://www.swisswater.com/our-process/

I will have to look what Kenya is it. I am now finishing amazing Guatemala, so Kenya is next :smiley:

Can not tell if they are less dense due to decaf process. Its actually so much variable in the normal coffee I get that I think it would be hard to notice some special deviation with one decaf. But sure the process does a lot of things to the beans and it is reacting in a very different way. So it might be it also less dense.

My next batch I will go more gently and steadily and I will see where it would lead me.

I have the latest crop of this from HasBean curious to find out how it would roast and taste.

The tasting notes are apricot jam and caramel.

First roast was a generic roast profile I often use. It tasted ok but had a “chemical” aspect to it which lessened as it aged. Next, I roasted it gently like a natural. Etheo type profile. This was much better but lacked depth so I extended it post 1C to increase development.

Tasting it today after 6 days rest, it is really very good. Simple, but good deep flavours of apricot and caramel. I’m honestly very surprised to find that I finally have a tasted a good decaf!

Great to hear you had a good experience with this decaf too …