Ethiopian Gora Natural - suitable roast profile to start with?

Hi

I’m new to Ikawa and was looking for some advice with the following coffee.

Washing Station - Uddo Hadamma Kebele, Shakisso Woreda, Guji, Ethiopia
Varietal - Gibirinna & Serto (74110 & 74112)
Process - Natural
Altitude - 2000 - 2100 masl

Some advice given from the distributor

“While you don’t want to dry out the coffee too quickly in the beginning stages, it’s a good idea to make sure there’s a little extra energy at least when you’re going into FC. Give the roast a boost right before getting into the FC and aim for a nice rolling vigorous crack . Once there’s a nice rolling crack you’ll want to pull back on that energy in order to make sure you don’t get too short of a crack. You’re looking for a good minute or more.”

The flavour profile is listed as

Blueberry, lemon, milk chocolate, orange marmalade, structured and long lasting acidity with buttery mouthfeel

I would like to try and emphasise the blueberry if anyone has any tips on where to start in terms of roast profile?

Thanks fin advance.

A good starting point maybe to use one of IKAWA’s existing roast profiles in the IKAWA app. I would choose a profile of an Ethiopian natural and be sure to use the filter or espresso profile based on your brew method. Then monitor and record the time and temperature (and fan speed) of your first crack and adjust those variables based on outcomes.

So as a starting place be experimenting with fan speed post FC, I’m assuming increasing fan speed would take some energy out and look to extend post FC development, or would you look to make changes to temperature going into FC?

I think you are correct. If you seem to be getting a “nice rolling vigorous crack” but it does not last long enough then increasing the fan speed might work. Or, manipulating the temperature might be a slower and easier way to control the consistency of the development of the roast. With my limited experience I would likely try adjusting one variable at a time to appreciate how I am affecting the roast and respond accordingly.

For Ethiopian DP’s I like a profile to be able to roast the beans to a 13-13.5% weight loss. While I agree with the “a good rolling crack” I would add that finding fruits in coffee is by developing the acidity during the roast at the right heat input so the beans can absorb the heat start breaking down enough but not enough to roast out the moisture before the bean structure breaks down enough. Since higher density beans can be roasted at lower heat than wet processed I tend to use this profile below for DP’s and then alter the heat and time based on the beans specs. If 80% fan seems pretty high (beans might fall into the chaff collector at the end of the roast) then leave the fan at a flat 80% while you play around with the heat profile, If it seems low, change the fan to a flat 87% and see if that gets you into the 13-13.5% range. Around first crack the beans should smell like blueberries. Ideally I want the smell to come with some development after the start of first crack (1C), I usually drop this profile when I smell the berries within 15s of first pop of 1C but try dropping multiple attempts and later stages, just don’t drop before 1C.

‘Marshal etheo O’ freshly roasted by @deven.patel411, here’s the recipe
https://share.ikawa.support/profile_home/?CAESENFPzlAH9kiWoz6q7PYYCmEaD01hcnNoYWwgZXRoZW8gTyIFCAAQ9AMiBgiSCBCiCiIGCK8QEIoOIgYIuyAQmBIiBgibKxDCEyoFCAAQzAEqBgibKxDLATABOgYI3DQQzAFCJgocM3RKck1wZ2FCQldjbzd4WkN1QmRqSm9QSEZwMhIAGgAiACgA