Favorite Pour Over

What is everyone’s favorite pour over? One of our ceramic ones broke recently, which was a generic one bought at a local store. In looking to purchase a replacement, I thought I’d solicit everyone’s opinions on here.

In noticing what gear is used at our local coffee shops, I find that the Hario V60 seems most common. A quick look online reveals that there are varied opinions about not only the best pour over, but also the best method of using them. What’s your favorite? Why? Do you think it even matters all that much?

Hi,

I use daily, a V60 in glass fabric. According to Scott Rao the V60 plastic fabric traps more heat during the brew. https://youtu.be/c0Qe_ASxfNM

I tried also the chemex but I do prefer the V60. I find it quicker and easier to achieve the same results.

I would say deffinitely V60 or simillar is importsnt to have … I can really recommend Gina as it can be used also for immersion and cold drip and has integrated scale, but functionally when you make pour over the product is the same as with ceramic v60.
Also great tool to have is aeropress, combined with metal filters (kohi labs mesh filter is my most used) and puckpuck disk to allow cold drip its great setup for traveling and overall very flexible and strong tool.
Another method that I really love (though I use it only sometimes) is ibrik/cezve … its relatively simple to use, cheap, and produces strong snd very different cup from both espresso or pourover/immersion. Only downside is you need a grinder capable of extremely fine grind.

And one special tip if you might be interested in fast simple yet potentially very capable brewer look at Steepshot. I still dont have it at home so cant say more, but it looked interesting …

I was using a Brewista smart dripper that took Kalita 185 filters made from borosilicate until it broke. I replaced it with a ceramic Kalita 155 which I find really good. It seems tiny compared to the 185 size and drains a lot quicker.

I also use V60 filters in the uncommon Biarro Alto brewer (possibly UK only?) which essentially is a metal mesh filter holder. It can take chemex filters also. I don’t like chemex filters but you can use Hario V60 size 03 in a chemex as an alternative.

Beside that, I use the Bonavita immersion brewer (porcelain version of the Clever dripper). You can do pourover with it as well. Also, I use a Brewista steeping brewer which is plastic and takes Kalita 185 or bigger basket filters.

I have an aeropress but don’t ever use it thesedays. I also have a little ibrik that I haven’t used in ages. Thank for the reminder @pavel ! I liked to use it with naturals. I must try it again.

My recipe/methodology whatever you want to call it, is identical between V60 and Kalita 155. The only variable is the bean. I don’t get hung up on water/slurry temperatures or the next guru’s magical method. FWIW, I don’t like the Rao V60 method. It doesn’t work for my small brews. I do 13.5g coffee/ 225g water. I don’t use the Perger stirring method either, too much agitation.

The secret, if there is one, imo, is to pour gently using a pouring kettle and keep agitation down as much as possible. Use grind size to get to the sweetspot for the brewer then stick with it. Don’t go changing grind for every bean. Aggressive pouring will tend to cause longer drawdown times and a muddy looking post brew slurry. Some folks stick rigidly to fixed brew times and start altering grind to hit the magic time. I don’t worry if beans have slightly different drawdown times. For any given method the most beans will probably vary from the average by +/- 15 secs. You’ll get the odd outlier. Usually something like a Brazilian pulped natural that often seem to generate a lot of fines and can feel like grinding stones

Totally agree. I think also sticking to one method allows for building intuition for it and being able to make better result with it than when one uses a new method every week or so :))

For lowest possible agitation, look mello drip (or is it melo? Not sure). Its a simple tool to convert pouring from a kettle into gentle drips from very small height. I can not say that the brew made with this tool is extremely different to my normal method that agitates more, but i like to use for some beans that seemto prefere this gentle method. But for anyone that likes least possible agitation this should be something to try, as it very clearly works.

I’ve never seen a Melodrip in real life but I do remember it being on kickstarter some time ago.

You can mimic this method with the use of the aeropress:

Take the plastic perforated cap off the aeropress and insert it into the funnel that comes with the aeropress so that the cap sits perfectly horizontal.
Holding the side of the funnel over the grinds, pour from the kettle directly into the cap.

You will see that this slows down the water stream and mimics the shower spray that automatic machines use. This is easily demonstrated by holding the cap under a tap and seeing how it slows the flow.

In my experience, you must do a bloom and first pour as normal (gently of course) then use the AP cap for subsequent pours otherwise there is insufficient agitation in the beginning and you end up with a weak brew.

You can of course keep the cap on the aeropress and pour down the tube but it is difficult to see what you are doing. The size and distribution of the holes are important. A typical kitchen sieve has too many holes. But you could use a seive rather than the AP cap if you can find one with a similar distribution.

Anyway, I find that this can really improve the clarity of a brew and it is very simple to do.

Sure, I see what you mean … I have looked at that part and tried it, but I think its still Agitating way more then melodrip - its designed to create gentle drops and you can keep it few milimeters above the coffee, so the agitation is really very minimal.
I can say I like the tool but I find its impact way smaller than if I sift with kruve and separate say 400 micron band for extraction. For me this adds way more clarity than minimized agitation. But I am yet to try both together, sift and then use melodrip:)) that might be the biggest clarity boost :smiley:

Hario v60 is the best all the others are losers…jk! :smile:. But seriously I’ve only used the V60, glass. That is what I learned on when I was a barista and all this talk has been making me start getting back into V60 brews.

Sure, the melodrip is probably a softer spray. I haven’t gone down the sifting tunnel yet - it just seems too much faff…for now anyway.

The shape of the filter seems to effect the amount of agitation required. I could not get an adequate extraction with V60 without doing the first pour as normal whereas with a Kalita 185 it was just possible to get 18% EY doing all the pours with the AP cap.

There has to be an optimal amount of agitation, which really is not very much. That’s why the Perger “stir like a dervish” method doesn’t make sense to me - unless you are looking for a very high extraction. I suppose.

Well … i was doing quitea bunch of extractions with melodrip on V60, doing it exactly as recommended, all pours through melodrip, minimal agitation. And it was the first time I actually overextracted … there are lots of parameters in play. My usual style uses lots of agitation, with melodrip I do as little as possible, yet I think the outcome is not really as far apart … i usually underextrated using more agitation and overextracted using less … but once the extraction gets close its actually very simillar. Cleaner and probably sweeter with little agitation, more dynamic and rich with more agitation, there are some differences, but not too big really, at least for me.
I am still more in agitation camp … as I like the more rich intense character or the brew better … but I think both ways produce very good cup.

@deven.patel411 you made me smile really :smiley: absolutely agree :)))