Hello, new to Ikawa Roaster

Hello all,
I recently purchased the Ikawa roaster as I have been looking for a roasting machine that fits my budget but, more importantly, where I can start exploring different roasting profiles.
I’m new to roasting but not new to coffee as I love my coffee with a great cigar.
A few years ago, I purchased a Bonaverde Berlin via Kickstarter. It was a cool concept. However, the only way to make coffee was to scan a QR code, wait for the roast, grind and then brew. This product had many problems. One of the biggest ones, the smaller beans would get stuck under the rotating arm. It would burn the beans, and I had to pull the plug from the wall to stop it from causing a fire. (Geez!!)
After much research, I decided to go for the Ikawa roaster; I’m very excited! I will be learning a lot from you all!
Happy roasting!!

I’m new to the crew too!
I’ve taken the long road to here, starting back in the late 1990s with a single boiler steam kettle that sprayed “espresso” ‘water’ out at the end of the boil. Sheesh, now that I look back I could have been clued in about the idea you pull the cup after the dark goes and the blonding comes! I guess that wasn’t common knowledge in the circles I traveled.

Before that? Starbucks and before that - gag - Sanka? and USNavy boiler oil.

So, 8 Years ago I got a HotTop to go along with my Breville 820xl (Dbl boiler). …Now I’m interested in seeing how to get better at building nuanced roasts and translating them from a fluid bed to a drum roaster with fidelity. I’m homebound and in my 60’s these days and I’ve discovered Coffee is that Friend that never left. (Even after the beginning of the blight crisis of the late 2000s and the introduction of “Third Wave”)

Here’s to looking forward to our opportunities in making the bean reveal its heart and share that soul amongst us.

Welcome Merle! I should be getting mine in this week, super excited!

My Ikawa Home roaster is about 3 weeks old now and I’ve used it a lot. This is an upgrade from my home made roasting machine. I’ve been roasting for 7-8 years learning a lot along the way. Winter has always been a challenge here in Missouri to achieving consistent roasts. Comparing what I built to a hottop or bullet just made no sense in terms of how much I consume and how much I want to put into cleaning, maintaining and there is still the big issue of exhaust. My batch size was 200 grams and so I was hesitant with Ikawa’s 50 gram capacity.

This winter was rolling in and I decided to buy the Ikawa. I could not be happier. Looking through this forum I found enough profiles to begin developing my own. I buy my beans from Sweet Marias and have about 25 different beans at all times. I tend to hoard because of annual availability and buy several different from each country. I have some really nice Ethiopia Dry Process Hambela Buku 13 screen. Oh, so many 7-8 beans flew out during the roasting process because they’re so small.

I blend for espresso and like Brazil pulp naturals about 50%, Ethiopia dry process 25%, Guatemala honey 25% and Yemen Mokha if I have it. (I currently do). I usually blended the beans first and roasted a few seconds into the 2nd crack - I liked to aim for 9-10 minutes. For pourovers I would roast either single origin or mix two together and roast maybe a minute into the 1st crack or about 7 minutes.

Consistency could not be achieved with my home-built but it made good coffee most of the time. Part of the problem is my failing eyesight - I could not tell how dark the beans were and had to rely mostly on sound and smell. The Ikawa does allow for small batch experimenting and then the ability to repeat. Other than cleaning up there is nothing to maintain and I can roast inside the house without any problem. I am able to work and roast at the same time!

For espresso I have been doing 2 50 gram roasts of Brazil, 35 grams Ethiopia with 15 grams Yemen Mokha and 50 grams of Guatemala. 3 roasts - two espresso profiles. the shorter for the Ethiopia and Yemen. This has to rest for 2-3 days.

The espresso is quite a bit better than what I had before and it is also not so dark. I use a Fierenzato for grinding, Dual boiler Quick Mill Vetrano Evo espresso machine. The portafilter has a 20 gram VST basket. I fill it with 22 grams of fresh beans and then most importantly I use my latest tool - Jack the Leveler to make the puck. Place it in the machine, pull the lever and 25 seconds later have 2+ oz of espresso. I do this twice and then add steamed skim milk for a cappuccino. Thats 44 grams a day and the Ikawa yields right around 44 grams from a 50 gram batch.

For single origins I thought I’d try to find some recipes here to develop one for some Gesha I purchased. There was one recipe about PNG that I started with. I noticed the total time was too long to when the 1st crack occurred so I adjusted it down by 30 seconds. The result was awesome. I use a Baratza Virtuoso for grinding the light roasts and a Hario V-60 to make one carafe- 30.4 grams to 500 grams h2o and pour for 2 minutes.

I am thankful to the community for sharing.