Honduran - Miguel Angel Paz Natural Espresso Profile



I recently purchased a couple of kilos of this Honduran; I am a big fan of the anaerobic naturals from Honduras, and this seemed like a nice lot to play with.

Out of the bag these beans smell FUNKY - a really pleasing acidic fermented aroma. So I have been trying to create a really good espresso profile that retains some of this in the cup. I am finally getting close, so thought I would share my current progress.


The Greenline shows my usual base profile, and the red is the amended version for these beans.

The baseline did not hit first crack at all. So I added 10c to the MAI and T and tried again. It hit first crack at the end of MAI, but the result was WAY darker than I wanted; bitter and flat in the cup.

After a lot of tweaking, resting and tasting, I have arrived at this profile.

I have pushed the temp up to hit first crack. I have shortened MAI to avoid over roasting, I then drop the temperature during development to try and retain more of the acidity in the cup.

I still have a little fine tuning to do, but feel like it is good enough to share - I’ll let you know if I get it any better.

Just did a test with the Ikawa Honduran (La Bascula) with the same profile - it hit first crack at the same point which is a good sign, will let you know how it tasted in a few days.


I have been iterating this recipe a bit and getting closer to what I am looking for.

I am trying to retain the milk chocolate richness, but get the tangy natural funk to punch through, with a nice sweet acidity at the end - I know all of these are present in the bean.

This profile is much closer (so much so that I have stopped playing with the profile for a while and just dialled it in perfectly and been enjoying drinking it). That said I do have some thoughts for a second and third iteration.


I have been trying to keep the peak temperature as low as possible to avoid overly roasting, and have drastically shorted the Dev phase to keep the funk and acidity. I have also found that running a warm up round helps the beans hit first crack.

Next up I am going to try and lengthen MAI slightly to get a touch more body, and drop the T a little more to get even more acidity in the cup.


I’ve been experimenting with your baseline profile on some Brazil Camocim beans. I’ll report back when I have something to say. Meanwhile, how do you get your images to look as they do? They appear to be screenshots of your Ikawa home app profiles, but they are much more informative.


I’d definitely be interested in hearing how you get on. This approach seems to be working for me, but I still have a lot to learn :slight_smile:

I have a layered image file, where I just drop a screen grab from the app behind this image:

Glad it is helpful.


I used to use a photoshop like program on Windows, basically an upgraded Paint. It wasn’t a bad option and could be made to look really clean, but an easier version I’ve used is take a screen cap on my Iphone and then using the editor.


Turns out I can’t improve on this profile - at least not to a meaningful extent :smiley:

I tried dropping the temp by 1c and adding 5 seconds to MAI. My hope was that this would give more body and complexity in the cup without losing the natural funk. The result did add body, but at the cost of the delicious boozy funky edge. The drop in temperature also seemed to add a little too much acidity for my taste.

Result, I’m gonna call it, and enjoy the next few roasts just as it is :slight_smile:

Might now play with the recipe and see if I can fix the body there…


I love this coffee and I’m going to try your profile. I’ve been roasting with a very long (12 minutes) and not too hot profile and I am enjoying the fully development of the coffee. As soon as I find out how to share the profile I’ll do it :slight_smile:


That would be great! I’d love to taste someone else’s approach to these beans (especially as I have a nagging feeling the have more to offer than I have achieved so far) :slight_smile:


‘base 4’ freshly roasted by @ikawahome, here’s the recipe

Here it is, let me know what you think


Great thanks, looks really interesting. Will run a roast tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

I have learnt that I need to rest the beans at least 4 days, so will be a while :slight_smile:


Yes I’ll do the same with your recipe :pray:


Sorry for the slow reply. In the interim my new roaster arrived, and it has taken me a while to adjust to dialing in with it. Add to this that I found your recipe needed much longer resting (I got the best results after 12 days). I really liked it though. It lost some of the natural funkiness that I was targeting with mine, but yours had great body and sweetness and as MUCH more balanced than I was expecting given the duration of the roast. It gave me lots to think about :slight_smile: