How to bring out the fruits and florals?

This was the first week with my Ikawa and did about 10 roasts with Ethiopia Aricha naturals.

Before i tried my own roasts, i didn’t know the roasted coffee i was buying were roasted extremely well. They are all medium light roasts which show fruits, florals and sweetness regardless of brewing method (espresso or v60) and it wasnt super light roasts which are usually notoriously hard to extract the body and sweetness with espresso. They were fairly easy to extract medium light-ish roast with lots of fruits and florals.

The green beans i got had strong smell of berries (obviously… they are ethiopian naturals) but after roasted, they are completely gone.

The best i got so far was with the second espresso profile (the 8:01 one) on, https://www.ikawacoffee.com/at-home/blog/espresso-masterclass/

It was slightly darker than my preference, but the florals and berries weren’t there. The first 7:11 profile on above URL was similar, with slightly lighter color, but not much florals or fruits.

What should I do to bring out the florals and fruits? Should I try to aim similar roast degree with shorter time? Should I try lowering or increasing the heat in which stage?

Finding a good recipe for Yirgacheffe Haufursa Waro Natural

Hi. I am in the same phase in learning the Ikawa roaster. I have had the Ikawa for aprox one week. I am also loosing florals and fruites. I am now experimenting with shorter roast times, I have done two roasts tonight that will give me some answers, total roast time is 5 minutes, with one minute development from the start of first crack. I only roast washed coffee from Ethiopia. Good luck in finding your profile, I will be following this thread;-)

Have you tried the Marshal Etheo profile I posted in the Marshal Etheo thread? Droping 5-15s after the first pop of the first crack?

Deven I actually tried that one today on some Ethiopian natural. How long do you typically rest that profile?

This profile should smell of fruits when you start the beans in the cool down cycle. I just roasted a batch and thought 1st pop 5-15s but I was not getting the fruit nose so I waited until 482F where they did show up and dropped at 483F.

But to answer this question, when dropped with the fruity nose they are good to drink in the first 3 days (if it lasts that long) and then drops off, and comes back in about 7-10 days.

So I ended up doing 4 batches of an Ethiopian Dry process from the Guji Region. The first two profiles didn’t smell of berries during the crack but reliably (among all 4 roasts) at 483F which is when I hit the button to start the cool down. The flat 80% constant fan had soft, few cracks. The 86-86\72fan had much more cracks. The 80fanM had a few but not as much as the second profile and the last one had the highest first crack temp but lowest development because I dropped it at 483F to be consistent but I felt like it should have gone longer, it smelled good in the roaster at 483F, but I feel like if could have gone longer.

‘Marshal etheo 1fan80%’ freshly roasted by @ikawahome, here’s the recipe
https://share.ikawa.support/profile_home/?CAESENSAYrKZP0eVj4PxWMfdh4waFU1hcnNoYWwgZXRoZW8gMWZhbjgwJSIFCAAQ9AMiBgiVCBCiCiIGCOoREIgPIgYI7R8Q2RIiBgjmKhDbEyoFCAAQzAEqBgjmKhDLATABOgYI7DUQywFCJgocM3RKck1wZ2FCQldjbzd4WkN1QmRqSm9QSEZwMhIAGgAiACgA

‘Marshal etheo 1fan86-86\72’ freshly roasted by @ikawahome, here’s the recipe
https://share.ikawa.support/profile_home/?CAESEBYxjkQnwk9NndWT/IAt5YgaGk1hcnNoYWwgZXRoZW8gMWZhbjg2LTg2XDcyIgUIABD0AyIGCJUIEKIKIgYI6hEQiA8iBgjtHxDZEiIGCOYqENsTKgUIABDXASoGCOYTENoBKgYI5ioQtgEwAToGCOw1EMsBQiYKHDN0SnJNcGdhQkJXY283eFpDdUJkakpvUEhGcDISABoAIgAoAA==

‘Marshal etheo 1fan80M’ freshly roasted by @ikawahome, here’s the recipe
https://share.ikawa.support/profile_home/?CAESEJ2sNAYQFE4wj2pae3yyNtMaFU1hcnNoYWwgZXRoZW8gMWZhbjgwTSIFCAAQ9AMiBgilBhCiCiIGCPMOEPMNIgYI0CUQ2RIiBgi5LxDbEyoFCAAQzAEqBgi5LxDLATABOgYIwDoQywFCJgocM3RKck1wZ2FCQldjbzd4WkN1QmRqSm9QSEZwMhIAGgAiACgA

‘Marshal etheo 1fan80%,494’ freshly roasted by @ikawahome, here’s the recipe
https://share.ikawa.support/profile_home/?CAESEM/o/dEIpEJEpm93lft90VwaGU1hcnNoYWwgZXRoZW8gMWZhbjgwJSw0OTQiBQgAEPQDIgYIlQgQogoiBgjqERCIDyIGCO0fENkSIgYI5ioQhhQqBQgAEMwBKgYI5ioQywEwAToGCOw1EMsBQiYKHDN0SnJNcGdhQkJXY283eFpDdUJkakpvUEhGcDISABoAIgAoAA==

Try resting the beans 7-14 days. The first week’s dry aroma is dominated by roast residuals. If you keep your beans in an airtight container, you can occasionally open the container and sniff to verify when the transition happens.
The profiles Deven have developed appear to be excellent starting points for what you want to achieve. If you prefer lighter, you can try the one I suggest here: https://www.ikawacoffee.com/at-home/blog/tips-and-tricks/ under the section: 2. Tailor the Flavour.

Thank you so much for all the info and profiles!! I’ll definitely try these and update.
So these profiles should be all dropped manually by hitting the button right?
And are there any significant differences in all 4 profiles? Or can I understand them as slightly different approaches to bring out the flavors and test them all out?

Yeah, maybe i was being too impatient, i’ll wait at least 7 days and try extraction. :slight_smile:

Will also try the light roast you mentioned :+1:

Are these profiles worth trying on washed Ethiopians coffees too?

These profiles are all an attempt to get the best/strongest flavor out of the bean. I am unsure which will be best, I am still drinking through them so it is best to roast/test out which ever or all the profiles you want and see which one tastes the best for you, and if you think some changes to that profile would work, alter it and try it out. I was thinking maybe lowering the end temp to 476 and extending the last point it by 1min might get a more floral/fruitier cup.

I have not found it to be the case, but that isn’t to say that What I think is the end-all-be-all, so try it out if you want. Washed beans tend to need more heat (especially in the beginning) so maybe using a much lower fan setting or changing the temps on the profile will help. Or adding in a spike to the beginning of the profile say…370F@00:45s May give that extra heat washed coffees need.

Have you tried the Ikawa profiles for washed Ethiopians?
There are several which should be on the app. These would be a good starting point.
Wenago, Zeleke and Harfurso Waro. Kochere Debo seems to have been removed (this was the first one) and is identical to Wenago but 30sec shorter.
There is also Shakiso for naturals.

So I tasted this profile result today although it was 3 days after roast, it was pretty good. Had hints of berries before grind, and berry aftertaste but quite weak. But it had slightly lemon like bright acidity in aftertaste.
If I want to roast this slightly darker and bring out more sweetness,
should I increase the roast time a little bit?
or should I increase the end temp?
Should I increase the time in maillard reaction temp range? :thinking:

I just got Rob Hoos book in the mail a couple of days ago, you should check it out, i think it would answer a lot of questions like your last one. I haven’t finished it yet, and I need to study it more to understand, but one comment he makes is that longer mai equals more floral notes, shorter mai equals more fruit notes and acidity.

https://share.ikawa.support/profile_home/?CAESEL48WCd0gU5UgN2qEwg8n3IaGkV0aGlvcGlhIFNoYWtpc28gRXNwcmVzc28gIgUIABD0AyIGCLADEMYPIgYIuwcQmRMiBgjqCxD+ESIGCPIPEJcTIgYI4iAQ1xIqBQgAELUBKgYI4iAQnwEwAToGCLomENcBSgBiATE=

I roasted the above profile on some natural Ethiopian and just tried it this morning. It was full of berries. First time I had tasted strawberries in coffee, although they only lasted when it was really hot. I was pretty excited though anyway!

I would definitely try the profile and update! Did you start from cold? Or run after preheat or after few batches?
I realized the roast result differ quite a lot between starting from cold / after batch or preheat.

I will check out the Rob Hoos book too :+1:

I didn’t pre heat, I pretty much ran it as it is.

So, my update.

I’ve tried the Marshal etheo above with a little tweak,
making it end at 8:45, with 247c.
The beans I’m using starts to crack at about 243c, so it spent about 1 min of 1st crack.
(The beans are waiting for the rest and will taste soon.)

I also tried Shakiso espresso profile above, but didn’t have much success, it tasted old style coffee which starts with some roasty flavors and finishes with little bit of acidity.

Interesting thing I found was that, all the profiles which had rapid increase of temperature in the beginning, and going flat after that, or even declining, had similar characteristics with roasty flavors & acidity, kind of old style of coffee I would say, without much complexity, florals, or sweetness.

Only profiles I had success was the 801 242 Espresso profile, and Marshal etheo style profiles which increase temperature step by step with declining ROR of inlet temp.

In particular, 801 242 was pretty good with balance, but had a small hint of bitterness in the end, so I made it 10 sec less to 7:51, and it was great and juicy.

I’ve tried various other roasts and noticed that too long roasting time (like Rob Hoos sample roast, which starts hot 150c and go on for 10 min) had less clean cup, and muddiness and not much aftertaste. Maybe 10 min roasts are a bit too long for our roasters?
I had great success with 7~8 min total roast time, and trying to test out fast and short roasts around 5 mins.

I’ve tried a few batches, but they all had extremely short development time, and was very bright with extreme acidity. I will try faster roasts with longer development time, and update.