Ikawa espresso 1 profile

ikawagreen
roasting

Anyone tried this for filter? I roasted a 50/50 mix of Ikawa columbian/ethiopian kochero yirg and cut the roast at 7 min.
I don’t think by cutting it short the Columbian is bringing much, although I’m getting a sharp green apple acidity but as a whole it is pretty good.

I think there could be potential in this profile for filter. Maybe more for the African coffees?

If there was some way to extract less body, but the same of everything else, it would be great for the Yirg natural I’m using. Otherwise, it comes out heavy on the bitter body elements as pour over in my experience. Shorter bloom and lower temps might help…

Prob too hot at the end, for bitter. Too long for body. That’s a broad generalization but it’s got the jist of it.

Did you cut the roast short?
Have you tried tweaking it?
I was thinking maybe altering points 2 and 5, bringing down the spike a bit further to 200c and bringing down point 5 to around 235c at 7 min. Hoping to maintain the acidity and cut body.

I have tried both tweaking and cutting short with various beans. For a Costa Rican bean, simply cutting 30 seconds off the end has yielded a much brighter and fruitier espresso (haven’t tried it as pour over yet). For a stubbornly dense Rwandan, raising every point by about 3C helped break down the acids to closer where I wanted, but overall was kind of a flop. Deven’s suggestions sound right to me - worth a try. Another factor is air speed which I’ve heard being positively correlated to body, so, you might try reducing air speed for less body.

It would be great to get an Ikawa blog on the effect of airflow.
On the bag of Ethiopian Shakiso natural it states “fast rate of rise, relatively gentle airflow with steady development make this great for espresso or Fuller body filter”.
Seems to be correlating lower airflow with more body?

My guess for airflow is that it relies on a bit of everything.
at the beginning:
Lots of airflow leans the beans against the wall thus it is in contact with a hotter surface area as well as creates a negative air pressure and thus reducing the boiling point (increasing the volatility of those delicate aromatics). I’m still debating how it affects the heat of the bean in the beginning. Is the convective nature causing more frictions on the surface area, increasing the drying? or Is the air pulling in cooler air in the beginning ramp (preheat is usually hotter then the ramp, yes?) thus cooling down the thermal mass from the surrounding nature of the system, gently raising the temperature and drying the beans more evenly? Trying in the beginning to utilize radiation heat and convective heat. I’m not sure if this is key to keeping the florals @pavel

before first crack:
I think the beans have enough heat and weight to help carry themselves up towards first crack. Where the crack gives off some energy and a slow decline through can keep the bean from getting too hot.

Im sure the reality of the system dependent on all these things and all of them are happening either beginning or stopping a certain points.

The Ikawa Ethiopian Kochere is one with florals and uses a moderately increasing temperature with declining fan speed to maximize bright acidity.
Maybe this is key to keeping floral notes?

Maybe not just florals but fan speeds are a factor for sure.

I’m not sure if I am correct that I’ve heard about fan speed and body correlated. I think there may be a variety of effects potentially caused by airspeed. However, I did notice higher than average fan settings on both espresso roasts. I do suspect a positive correlation, Assuming you can apply the right amount of extra air at the right time.

You’re right that the notes on shakiso might be implying that lower airspeed might make it better for espresso. I suspect it’s mainly the heat doing the work there, except if the beans are struggling to rotate in which case even more heat builds up, and they would roast deeper. So maybe lower speeds in general allow even more heat build up and lead to a deeper roast. I suspect that higher speeds can also cause more heat to get into the beans leading to the same result.

Im not sure there was any method to the mayhem for that.Unless someone feels otherwise…

I too notice something afoot.

more like facing.

That would make sense while the air temp is warmer than the bean mass temp.

I agree because lowering the fiction at the most delicate point of the profile requires a bit of finesse and gentle navigation.

At what cost? My dear Watson, At what cost?

Well, the mill city guys do talk about something called aroma stripping caused by too much airflow in drum roasting. I think I may have run into it myself with too much air at the end - for a while I was trying longer Andino type fan profiles, and I suspect that high air right at the end where the beans are most vulnerable is especially risky for “aroma stripping” if indeed that’s even a thing.

Yea I agree that you’ll probably get unevenness if you’re relying on low-air heat buildup in any serious way. Unlike most of my popcorn popper roasting, the ikawa doesn’t require buildup to get up to crack with sufficient momentum. I used to hand-stir like a beast to prevent facing and such. Don’t miss that!

I would love to hear from ikawa about fan speed as well. The reasoning behind the fan speed choices as described on their various coffee bags seems…diverse. I’m especially curious about the Andino air profile. I’ll start a new topic on it too.

Great point - if you’re looking for a lower acidity, high-body filter brew this could be a good option. Have you tried Espresso Roast 2 and cutting it short? I’ll have to try this today, I’m curious

No. I have not tried this with espresso 2 profile yet.

I roasted a green blend of 50% Colombia Andino and 50% Ethiopia Debo (IKAWA greens) with a modified IKAWA Espresso Roast 2 profile and had good results. The filter brew had more body, good balance of caramels and the fruit/floral of the Ethiopia and balanced acidity.
The profile I used was this:
https://share.ikawa.support/profile_home/?CAESEARKXWaSMkpKqhPmCAkK7ywaHklLQVdBIEVzcHJlc3NvIFJvYXN0ICMyLWZpbHRlciIFCAAQ9AMiBgjQBBDCEyIGCKYHENUNIgYI5yAQjRMiBgihKxCpFCoFCAAQ2AEqBgjiCxC5ASoGCKErEKcBMAE6BgioORDNAQ==

Hi Geoff, thanks for sharing, it’s great to learn from others. I received my IKAWA Home a few weeks ago, bought through the truely wonderful team at Bureaux in Melbourne. I am a home roaster with a little experience through my Gene Cafe. I’m loving the Ikawa but finding it hard to locate the library of profiles (shared by other owners) which I thought would be available. Is there a place to find a volume of other users roast profiles?

Right now I’m seeking an espresso roast a little light than the Espresso Roast #1 available online for home users. Whilst seeking something lighter, I am still wanting an espresso for my milk blend.

Many thanks