Importance of Storage

In my experience, I had come up against a problem time and time again. I would roast a coffee, it would taste good right after the roast, smell great. But the next day, it’s was as if the coffee completely lost all of its flavor. I’ve come to realize that my coffee storage was the problem.

If you find your coffee to taste great after the roast and dead the next day, look towards your storage container. The problem may be easier to solve than I originally thought.

well, one of the suggestions done is to freeze your coffee, potentially in packs of 1 use. I’ve been freezing my pre-roasted coffee for years now, with good results (I do however tape the vent closed with duct tape before). The new thing I’ve learned recently (thanks to this forum) is that you have better grind results if you grind your coffee straight from the freezer! Until now I always thawed the coffee before use.

I am still not feeling ok about freezing the roasted coffee. Quite interested in Devens findings, because I can not imagine (considering he tried to store the beans well before) how could something with the ok looking storage could go that much wrong to have the coffee gone in one day.
Maybe only if the temperature and humidity of the environment is both high, I can imagine it can be bad, but …
Tell us more Deven … tell us more. :slight_smile:

Something to consider is roast. In my experience, a roast that tastes best right away is usually darker. Possibly too dark because it can’t age.

I think a good roast should have a generous window of when it tastes good and usually a medium roast will be better the day after roasting and continue to be at it’s peak for a few days.

Deven, what storage solution solved your issue?

Woah woah woah, this is where I’m going to hit the wrong buzzer. For long term storage, sure, roasting from frozen…eeehhhh I’ve heard mixed reviews. But you should definitely have a vac sealer, IMPO. When it comes to biology the answer is a clear no. When it comes to cooking the answer is a “I don’t taste a difference”.
Freezing post roasted coffee is what that article @Geoff_IKAWA posted.

It is really helpful if you have a perfect roast you are trying to save outside the “tastey window”. But like frozen veggies if you let them come to room temp they get really soggy. But if you cook them straight from the freezer they are ok…OK being the key word.

Yes I agree. I feel like if my findings aren’t matching up to the wisdom of people roasting for longer than I have existed I am doing something wrong.

Drum roll please!..I used the Ikawa/vactight storage container. Often times I was roasting like 4-6 different profiles or tweaks on a profile, and cupping after would be ok (informative aka terrible) and I would think to let them rest would help…but no. Until recently when I roasted my Ethiopian DP and got some freeze dried blueberries, and I did the same profile with the same bean taste, and then when I came back from a weekend holiday the roast in the storage container was AH-MAY-AZING, and the ziplock bag was cereal. I knew ziplocks are CO2 permeable I just didn’t consider that the transference (and obvioulsy O2 as well) transfers both ways.

I use small foil lined storage bags with a press together seal. Can’t get more than 60g in them. I usually roast 50g and push as much air as possible out before sealing.
The beans keep fine in them for a few days short term storage. I only roast as much as I can drink so don’t need long term storage which was one of the attractions of the roaster for me. Greens keep well, so I can’t see the need to roast too much at a time.

Let’s keep things fun, folks. We don’t need to buy or build “wrong” buzzers. If you disagree, simply say that and some constructive reasons why.

Freezing greens for preservation is different to roasting frozen coffee. It’s a tactic that been adopted by many of the top roasters and has been shown to preserve green coffee for years.

https://www.baristamagazine.com/george-howell-unveils-vintage-frozen-coffees/

Great to hear the container is working well for you!

Apologies for my rather long hiatus from the forums! Anyone here that remembers me from the kickstarter comments, knows that I was a regular contributor there. Thanks btw to Deven for checking up on me here via PM. I was quite busy over Christmas and since then I have been heavily studying a JavaScript course.

Anyway, I am a storage freaaaaak!! I have given the whole storage situation much thought time and research. The main enemies in the fight for coffee freshness are O2, H20 & UV (air, moisture, light).

I have tried a few different techniques, one of which involved the importation of a product manufactured for the American market by SC Johnson, in the shape of Ziploc bags that were vacuum sealed via a hand pump! However these bags soon lost their ability to seal the vacuum after a little use & then SC Johnson discontinued the bags. Besides there are some schools of thought that believe the negative pressure of a vacuum actually contributes towards the acceleration of aging coffee.

Alas these days I have opted for a somewhat low tech, inexpensive alternative, mason jars(!) aka jam jars! They are usually widely and easily available in a whole range of sizes. Airtight, the screw on lids can also withstand heavy usage. In an obsessive quest to reduce the volume of O2 allowed to occupy vacant space, I have employed the use of multiple 55ml, 120ml & 190ml jars. As coffee is consumed, I just move down to the smaller size jar. However much of my coffee doesn’t seem to hang around for long these days!

The only caveat being that degassing can build slight pressure inside the airtight jars. That said I have never had any issues with too much pressure, other than a very slight ‘dome’ forming on the lid & a mild hiss on its release. A freshly roasted batch of 50g easily fits inside a 190ml jar with plenty of vacant space for gas build up. A simple solution to combat this problem for anyone concerned about pressure, would simply require a recycled plastic one way valve, a glue gun & a small hole made in the metal lid. Simple!

Just be sure to store the jars away from light and the solution for coffee storage is sorted!

Hey, glad you are back, that was awesome! I’m actually have been thinking about a cheap way to make canisters and I’ve decided on drilling a hole in small mason jars and using my wine vacuum stopper to keep a slight negatives pressure. I was thinking that I’ll try and test is more or less negative pressure is better or worse. Do you have any experience with that?

To be honest I have only ever read about the negative pressure & the alleged effects online. I believe I do still have some unused vac bags. I could split a batch of freshly roasted coffee between a vacuum & non vacuum solution, then see how each taste after a week or two.

If I manage to dig out those bags, perhaps I can follow up here.

@Christo-Faulds Hey! Nice to see you here again!
Mason jars are nice, but have to be stored in the dark - but, if you are into it a lot, have you thought about Nitrogen? You could fill the jars with nitrogen and it should slow oxydation quite a lot, and because its heavy it should be quite easy to put in.

Anyway, I think the best with ikawa is to roast only as much as can be consumed in a few days, so the storage does not have to be crazy …

I wish I had nitrogen, where do you get yours from? I think the easiest solution for me would be a whip cream maker.

Well I believe it can bee purchased in larger bottles for gastro …but my thinking was also along the whip cream small ones, as there is not needed much to fill the remaining space in the jar.

But my main line of thinking is, that I want to get good enough in the roasts that are the best the same day, that I would only roast what is needed for the day … but with espresso its still a bit complicated :slight_smile: I just think its the best, with the small batch size of Ikawa, to not have roasted coffee standing there and decaying …if I dont have to.

With that exact intention, I purchased with Hiku grinder also their storage option (could be built pretty simply at home, but I liked their design) which consists of stone base with holes and small glass tubes with wooden plugs, made for a single dose (cca 20g) . So you weight your doses into it, close it, and then open only the one you are going to use. I just love that concept of not constantly opening and closing the storage, letting the air inside exchange and bringing more oxygen.

I’ve been reading more into plastics and I’m not sure they are a good fit without extra steps, like freezing (by lowering the vapor pressure of the aromatics) and would cause a lot of aroma and flavor loss. I think glass or a different kind of plastic which is less malleable like the canisters made from different plastic. However these will still absorb some coffee volitiles just at a slower rate.

I like the concept of roasting for immediate use, I think it is all in the profile used. Right now I am getting ok results 1st day, crazy awesome on the second and 3rd is a close behind second. I’m still tweaking my Ethiopian DP profile so time will tell. Have you seen the starage containers by HG?https://lynweber.com/accessories/bean-cellars-glass/

It is the epitome of ultra overdesigned, ultra refined, ultra overkill with a price tag to match, but they look nice :grin:

Yes I love them, its the same idea with Kanso storage set, and sure, its still really expensive (even the shiping will be exprnsive as the marble base is quite heavy), but i like it, and i am not ready to create it from scratch, so, I can live with the price :wink:

I agree with the sentiments of roasting enough for demand or J.I.T as it’s referred to in development & manufacturing. I am certainly in agreement that, once home roasting, there is no need to store vast quantities for any length of time. My initial quest for the most suitable coffee storage solution existed pre Ikawa home, when I had to purchase an amount of coffee that would last me for up to a month! These days it is unusual for any home roasted coffee to be hanging around for longer than a week.

With that in mind I feel a suitably sized glass jar with screw on lid, is the most simple inexpensive solution. Though I must confess if money was no object I would most definitely be making a purchase of some ‘bean cellars’!!

Btw I have just looked at it, and the Kanso coffee storage set is like 3 times cheaper :slight_smile: (But, it does not have the one way valves, I think they wrote that the wooden plugs should let the gas out. But - 20g of coffee could not make any pressure in there anyway :smiley:

Its just soooo nice ! Today I recieved it, just two days after my birthday so perfect timing ;)) and really great storage option.

ok thats just really really slick! nice!