Initiative H73 | Help us improve our green coffee sourcing & selection

greencoffee
ikawagreen
ikawacoffee

We at IKAWA are continually striving to improve your experience with IKAWA At Home, helping you craft your perfect cup every single time.

This initiative is focused on the sourcing and selection of green coffee. We would appreciate it if you could take 1-2 minutes to complete this pilot survey. This will be very valuable for us to improve your experience using IKAWA green coffee - the more entries we have, the more accurate it would be for us to cater to your needs.

Take the Initiative H73 pilot survey >

I already completed the survey, but just want to note here that I think you normally have a very nice selection of green beans at a very good price considering the quality.

The reason I often order elsewhere is that I like to add a something wild or crazy to my order, say a super rare (and thus expensive) bean or a very fermented natural etc… Perhaps with the option of only buying 250g.

I also tend to buy larger amounts of some predictable coffee that pleases everyone. No surprises, but pleasant and for the times where you don’t pay too much attention to the details, or mix it with milk etc. The kind of coffee that may be sold in larger bags at a fair price.

I think your coffee falls between the two categories above, thus your selection will only satisfy 40-50% of my needs. Since I live in Denmark, shipping cost is a factor I have to include in the equation and my purchases will often end up in a place where all my needs are satisfied. I did however just buy 3 kg from you today;).

Stay safe

I can’t figure out the symbolism here for more and less:
Home espresso machine (£600<)
Home espresso machine ( <£600)

I’ve never seen the more/less symbol used after a figure. Which of those is more that £600. I use a Londinium spring lever machine.

Hi Niels,

Thanks so much for your honest response to this Initiative! I am glad you find the coffee we provide high-quality and reasonably priced! We stand by the selection of coffee we source from around the world, and our goal is to support our Home customers, such as yourself continually. At the same time, supporting and paying farmers fairly. This has been very insightful and once again, thanks for taking the time to write this!

Zak

Hi mshextra,

Sorry if this caused any confusion.
(£600<) = £600 or more
( <£600) = less than £600

Agree with you. Please make available super high end I can’t normally source. If we forked out the $$ for the Ikawa, chances are we’d buy high end rare beans.

As mentioned I agree with Niels. It would be truly great if you would make available super high end GBs I can’t easily source. I’m thinking that if we forked out the $$ for the Ikawa, chances are we’d buy high end, ‘rare’ beans.

Also - As I mentioned in the survey I for the last four years I have subscribed to Kaffee Box in Oslo, Norway and once a month, they ship (mostly high and filter roasted beans) to me, all the way to Sydney Australia. I pay a premium and happily so, I am able to enjoy otherwise difficult coffees to source here in Australia.

Warning: Post can be triggering.

I’d have to disagree, since a) I am a person not so keen on spending tons of money for a product that itself is inexpensive and cultivates a price increase through a lack of knowledge. Whether the farmer is not supported financially/information. Or marketing inflates the price etc, etc. Roasting well processed bean, from a good year of harvest is easier to roast and getting less out of a bean is a waste of good bean. On a forum for a roaster that is supposed to share profiles, it’s been 3 years and maybe 20 profiles posted by 5 people. That’s laughable, but too sad to. By the data: what people want isn’t better beans, it’s a more accurate profile. They want a bread machine that they can mindlessly load beans, in produce perfect coffee, and then brag to their friends that they are such a good coffee roaster. Aka hipsters.

Understanding and compensating when someone tries to transfer a profile from low altitude to high altitude, or cold and wet to hot and dry.

Searching for “better” or “rarer” beans is easy for taking advantage of, and a waste of money on the soulless marketing people which in turn leads to kindling for starting another Banana Republic. Instead by supporting more select farmers (expanding their job descriptions vis-a-vis reducing carbon/chemical footprints), cultivating a relationship, using better/cleaner horticultural practices that can help establish the industry forward in a cleaner direction. Since Speciality can learn what not to do from Commodity and bananas, I think starting with good practices and being precise where the money trail goes, should by design uplift those who have been suppressed for so long by colonial cronyism. Establishing partner relationships with companies who’s mission and values are already inline with that furthers the momentum already established by the Speciality industry.

LOL!
I have heard of record fetching Hacienda La Esmaralda auction lots beeing roasted to a dark sheen, pre-ground and packed into numbered specially made tins and sold to people with more money than brains. But that is not really the point here (for me anyway).