Jamaica Blue Mountain Beans

Hi all, got some beans coming, any ideas what profile to use.
Thanks in advance.

1. Search on here for “immediate use profile”.
  2. Sort out defects when the beans are green and quakers after roasting.
  3. Use Immediate Use and roast 3 batches of 50g. Dropping first 30s after first crack, second at the start of second crack (2C), third drop 5-10s after 2C
  4. Brew a cup of all three the same (your usual way) within a day and report back your flavor experience.

Hi Devon,
Could you explain that in layman’s terms please?
Thanks

Yea no problem, I am not sure where and what you are already familiar with so for you and who ever else, I will start from the beginning. In another thread on this forum I made a profile I said was good for immediate use, where in Ethiopia, Africa they roast coffee on a pan (at home) to then grind and drink immediately. I read/saw somewhere that anything both ground and drunk after 30 minutes from when the coffee is done roasting would be considered bad/not good manners to serve. Now I take all that with a grain of salt (that coffee 30 mins post roast is bad). But I have roasted a batch and then ground and drank the cup immediately, with great results. So far those cups were not as “full” tasting in my mouth as some where when allowed the roasted beans to degass aka “rest”, for several days. But the flavors were distinct and the cup satisfying for sure.

A coffee is considered “fresh” anywhere from 1-3 maybe 5 days after the coffee was roasted. But do not think that a fresh coffee means that it will be automatically good. In a typical speciality grade roasted coffee, 7-14 days after rest is when the coffee peaks in flavor and well roasted coffee can taste good up to 30 days after roast. But a coffee will peak in flavor and then begin to die off. When the coffee can peak and how long it takes to die can vary within the time frames I already mentioned. Sometimes a coffee can peak sooner (1-3days) and then die off but I have rarely noticed a peak after 14days. Robusta does not haven the same rules, a 30-45day rest but I have not fully vetted this by my own roasting.

I used the search bar within the forum and copied the link to the thread that I posted with the “immediate use” profile.
Here is the link:

Scroll down and select the link with your device you use the Ikawa app on. (Also read the thread, it might have stuff that might help you)

Coffee Defects:
In green coffee there are defects that will effect the taste and quality of flavor in the cup if not sorted through and removed before roasting. This includes holes (caused from bugs while the coffee cherry is on the tree). Damaged or discolored coffee (black or green). Broken. Cut. Misshapen beans from either processing or abnormal growth (potato defect for example). Sometimes you may find debris like sticks or stones, they won’t break your bones but they will break your grinder. Here is a link to the video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YV0YeY36dHQ

If the link doesn’t work In your country, simply google “coffee defects” and you should find something. This video is by group named Echo Asia.

In the Fruit for Thought thread (also a good place to scroll around and check out the links, if a link is not to your liking just move to another, there is a lot of variation)

Quakers are coffee beans that are very light (tan) in color compared to the others after the coffee has been roasted. Remove them after the roasted beans are cooled. If you uses those beans to make coffee it will cause your drink aka “the cup” to taste papery or dry or “baked”. The quakers dont brown like the other beans because when the coffee cherry is picked it is underripe/not fully develop those cherries did not produce enough sugar and melonoidins that causes the brown color in coffee bean.

1. I weigh my beans in 50 gram batches and by consistently using the same weight it helps me see what other variables like: how much moisture a bean has or how the density is different from one farm or lot on that farm, to another. But don’t worry too much about it but just aware of moisture and density until you are more comfortable roasting coffee and understanding the lingo.

Bean Cracks: 1C and 2C

This kind of a complicated subject if you search on youtube “Mill City” channel, this drum roasting manufacturer has free classes on coffee roasting and do a phenomenal job of explaining coffee roasting. They speak to drum roasting but the basic sounds are always the same and any questions you have, just ask here and I will be more than happy to explain it for us air roasters.

Continuing on…
1C also known as first crack, and 2C is also known as Second crack. To put it simply, when you hear the beans popping or cracking the first time, this is a marker that you are now in the area of drinkable coffee. I said drinkable not delicious, it can be delicious but coffee flavor and how well the flavor can be tasted in the cup is very dependent on the profile you use to roast and the beans. Anything that is stopped from roasting before Second Crack has started, is a medium to medium dark roast. Starting at 2C (second crack) is medium dark and while the beans are cracking a second time until they stop cracking or even roasted beyond this point is considered dark roasted coffee.

Because of the usual way I make my profiles, I consider the different degrees of roasting (City (1C), City+, Full City, (2C) Full City+, Vienna, French) the time between the different degrees is much closer/faster than what drum roasters experience. So if you want a light roast, during the roast you “drop” aka hit the cool down button, anywhere from 5-15 seconds after the first sound of 1C (first crack). This is my opinion and experience. Other users like Jboutte posted profiles where the cracks and duration in between take around the same time as a drum roaster would. This timing (of the cracks) have to do with how the profiles are shaped. Specifically, how the heat is applied to the beans while roasting.

So I suggested doing three separate 50 gram batches stopping each batch from a medium to a dark roast. The way Jamaican coffee’s are grown and processed, do not (usually) make for good light roasted coffee and taste better roasted darker. That is not to say you can’t roast light or that it won’t taste good. I haven’t roasted any Jamacian coffee’s myself so I am just relaying what I have heard. And more importantly you roast coffee for what you want to drink.

That covers most of what I can think of. I have listed a lot of information through many resources in the thread Fruit for Thought: A Library of Resources. Roasting itself is predominately knowledge and research based, like cooking; meaning the more you know and the more experience you have, should help make you a better at roasting coffee. I think it is true. I hope this helps and if anything is unclear let me know what is confusing and I can try and explain it better.

I also am typing this on my phone so please excuse any grammatical errors.

Hi Deven I understand a little more now, thank very much for taking the time to explain all that. I tried as much as I could to buy Green Beans here in Jamaica but no luck, drove into the mountains but only roasted available. Bought a load from Lakota so hopefully should be home before me. I will try my hand at roasting them and let you know how I get on. Hope I don’t ruin them.
Regards