Kenya Peaberry roasting advice

Thank you for clarification Deven, all understood now ! :slight_smile:

I meant decreasing the airflow, increases the pressure in the system. I hope that is not confusing.

So I’ve continued playing around and would like to revise my earlier hypothesis. While PBs do take on color and get to crack pretty easily, it’s still tricky to develop them all the way through. So, I’ve started to try some other approaches, and it turns out the conventional wisdom isn’t entirely wrong. Long story short: Muninya Hill style profile has worked well. Not perfect, but best yet.
https://share.ikawa.support/profile_home/?CAESEIj9l7uk3k11iJ9UX1ZcLNkaBVBCIEMxIgUIABD0AyIGCLkDEMAQIgYInwgQohMiBgjqEBC4EiIGCI4VEOgSIgYI8B4QnBMqBQgAEMgBKgYI8B4QogEwAToGCPgsEM4B

Strangely thats not so different to my profile, not entirely sure how to post it on a desktop put mine goes up to 240c after 1.5 mins and finishes roasting at 5 mins after dropping gradually to 225c. The fan speed is similar, it has to be higher at first or the beans don’t move initially. I’ll try your kink between 0.5 and 1.5 mins, still getting some uneven colours but it does roast well. If anyone can tell me how to post the profile I’ll put it on!

Good to know. I’ve not tried a peaberry yet.
I’ve been roasting my first Kenya Nyeri AA. So far it’s done well on a Dumerso profile and a nice light roast on the Kochere. I tried in between but it was poor.

I don’t know how you guys are charging so high without tipping.

I’ll have to check on the next one for tipping. There was certainly none externally, but there was another similar roast with a higher charge I didn’t like as much that had a little bit internally under the soft spot. That’s something I’d rather avoid, but I’ve had roasts with a little internal carbonization only on the germ - or whatever that little internal chip in one tip of the bean is - that were quite tasty and not burnt tasting. I assume there’s a correlation between carbonization and going too hot, but I also wonder if that tiny bit might not sometimes be a necessary consequence of going for a highly aromatic yet juicy cup. I’d actually love to find out, so if necessary I’ll shoot a little lower for charge and check all the variations and make sure at least one has none at all. I don’t know what degree of tipping you got, but there could be lots of reasons besides the profile. These beans are super dense for one, so they can handle more heat than most. I also live in a cold region and roast in pretty cold conditions. Besides that there are all kinds of variables I’m sure you know about but hey I’ll let u know what I get next.

I’m thinking it could be my humidity, I keep going back to that. My latest endeavors are trying to marry the fastest speed of the roast to the lowest temp and fan while getting a good 1C and momentum/ROR to and through 1st cracks.

Also I have been finding that if I can ride the development during at a high temp, without getting any roasty flavors I can get dry cacao in coffee’s one does not expect to get from the bean. Unless you consider dry cacao a roasty flavor :smiley:

Have you tried this profile on a “standard” Kenyan? I have my doubts that it would be successful. Don’t want to waste any expensive beans finding out if you have already tried.