That a great resource. Can’t tell you how bad I want a BT probe after reading the what is baked coffee thread. Unfortunately my wife is on the verge of killing me already after buying an ikawa and forte within 2 months, so not in the cards.
Thanks, I recently bought a very cheap oven thermocouple with pid from Amazon. I was convinced for a long time that having another probe will be helpful but as I have been roasting I don’t think it really helps because the beans are such a small mass, and airflow fast getting a reading of the actual beans is not clear. My next endeavor would be to make a custom faceplate for an IR probe but again I have a lingering feeling it is not really useful since the bean follows in parallel sontightly to the air temp. I think the end all be all is to just map out very specifically what beans like what heat profile for what flavors you want to get out of it. Knowing how to adjust the inlet profile based on cupping and knowing how fan effects the heat transfer/moisture loss. Knowing those things, having extra probes that can’t read those things, won’t help. Looking at Pro profiles this is apparent because the BT/ET follow each other so closely. And those profiles are like straight lines anyways. When I was looking at nicer probes there were some with hygrometers and magnehelic (air speed) with a thermocouple. If I learned anything from cooking and Rao, we are just managing the moisture loss, so seeing more how the beans react is better imo.
Edit: Or I can be completely wrong, I forgot to say: I am still trying out the probe, my working hypothesis that it is not useful but I would happy to see the results either way.
Really interesting thread.
Not sure I have much to add.
I did a similar thing when I first got my IKAWA. But this was because I was new to roasting, and liked the Rob Hoos approach. Seeing that he had a pro-profile that I could use as a foundation meant that I could make the intellectual leap from a traditional roaster to the IKAWA.
I came to the realisation a couple of months ago that there is no such thing as the “perfect” roast, just a world of possible flavour profiles for each bean, and I want to spend as much time enjoying my coffee as experimenting, So I keep things simple, and try not to get lost in all the possibilities. I still use the same profile as my foundation, and vary the temperature based on when I hit first crack, and mostly pay with the development time and finishing temperature. That gives me more than enough tools to play with flavour. Once I hit something delicious I stick with it. This then gives me the stability to dial* in and enjoy. *another place with endless possibilities.
Like other hear I am definitely allowing more time for resting too, and this is making a huge difference (my current natural is most delicious at 10 days).
Seems like development time and ending temperature had much more effect than any other factors.
Ramping up fast, or slow and things didnt have much difference.
However i realized fast roasting gives more clear flavors and slow roast gives more complexity but muddy. So it seems like total roast time matters.
So i’m currently only playing around with DT and ending temp.
Same here. They are the two that seem to have the biggest impact on flavour for me.
Out of interest what is your average roast time? I’d be interested to bring a bit more clarity to my roasts, so would be interested to play with that a bit.
HI! I’m a little late to the party but I have spent most of my summer adapting different Pro roast profiles to the Home. I have been using a probe in aproximately the same location the Pro’s exhaust probe. Due to probe thickness and location differences I take it’s readings with a grain of salt when I am comparing my exhaust temps.
I initially start with about a 30-35C (~85-95F) difference between my desired exhaust temp and my inlet temp. Then I tweak and adjust based on lag based on the coffee. Typically, I let it heat up for 50 seconds then I drop the charge so the machine has time to reestablish itself after I open the chute. This typically takes me and my machine about 10 seconds. I have started with a higher charge temp because the Home version takes a bit to reestablish itself after I open the chute (because it wasn’t designed to do that) and understand that the first minute the roast will lag behind the desired exhaust temp. After about 75 seconds it usually catches up to the desired exhaust temp. I have really good success with natural processed coffees regardless of origin (honestly, I have only tried natural processed African coffees). I was less satisfied with Gesha profiles I worked on and I didn’t have much of it to work with. With the Tim Wendelboe Tamana Basic profile I get mixed results. For that profile it really depends on the beans. My best batch on this came from a Rwandan peaberry. I am also working on the Pulped/Probat Mimic by Kaya Carretta. It has been fun to experiment.