Roasting Profiles Help

This is my first post and first time roasting with my new IKAWA Home roaster.
I have some favourite beans I used to buy roasted from a local farmer and was wondering if I can get some guidance in terms of what type of profiles to use. I would be roasting them for espresso.
Here are the green beans and a bit of detail on each type:

1-El Salvador SHG Santa Ana is a collection of coffee from a multitude of coffee producers in the region of Santa Ana in Apaneca, Lamatepeq. The coffees that are grown in these areas at altitudes from 3600 to 4100 feet and create the Santa Ana brand, are mostly bourbon and pacas. The coffee is then milled, using the honey process, at Cafe Tuxpal owned and managed by Federico Pacas. The mill provides consistency with quality and care in their processing from the farm level all the way to the mill.
2-Nicaragua Yellow Honey Grown in the mountains along the northern border of Honduras, in the community of Comarca Bayuncun, department of Nueva Segovia at altitudes from 4300 to 5000 feet on the Finca Santa Maria de Lourdes (craggy slope).This Catuai varietal is honey processed and harvested January through April.
3-Papa New Guinea CHUAVE KETO TAPASI
Keto Tapasi Progress Association was founded in 2008 as an association of smallholder coffee growers from 18 communities and villages in the Eastern Highlands of Papua New Guinea, in the Chuave District. The organization has around 375 members, who cooperate and collaborate despite the vast differences in both culture and language between their heritage groups. The organization has been Fair Trade–certified since 2011 and certified organic since 2014, and has used the premiums it receives to invest in depulpers as well as warehouse space and transportation.

Smallholders typically own anywhere from a couple to a couple-hundred coffee trees, and sustenance farming on these more “garden-like” plots is common; the cally them coffee “gardens,” in fact, rather than farms, and the farms themselves have no names and carry no formal demarcation to indicate where one neighbor’s land ends and the other’s begins. Generally, the farmer members will depulp and ferment their coffee on their own farms; it is bought and sorted in parchment at the central mill in Goroka for drying, in deliveries from 25–65 kilograms.

Once the coffee is picked and depulped, the farmers will ferment it dry for one to three days before washing it and laying it to dry on blue tarpaulins for three to four days.
4-ETHIOPIA YIRGACHEFFE IDIDO NATURAL
The Ethiopia Yirgacheffe Idido is sourced from family-owned farms, at altitudes from 6700 to 7200 feet, located around the Idido coffee mill located in the Gedeo Zone of Ethiopia. The Gedeo region is named after the Gedeo people who are indigenous to this area. The Idido mill is located in a beautiful valley in the town of Idido near the town of Yirgacheffe. Small coffee farmers deliver ripe cherries to the Idido mill where the cherries are sorted. The cherries are placed on raised drying beds in thin layers and turned every 2 to 3 hours during the first few days of the drying process. Then the beans are transported to Addis Ababa, the capital of Ethiopia, to be milled and bagged prior to export.

Thank you for your help.

One person’s espresso roast can be another’s filter roast and vice versa - so this is a more general suggestions.

My approach for an unknown bean is to grab a profile from the Ikawa APP Library or from contributions to this site that most closely matches: Origin, Varietal and Process and then use that as a starting point

If you can’t find one that matches Country, you bring out your world map and find the closest country match that aligns with the other parameters.
If you can’t find a profile for the Varietal, you take a coffee family tree (for example Café Imports) and trace the closest relative.
(a Bourbon from Africa is quite different from one grown in the Americas, so if you have a Burundi Washed Bourbon, it makes more sense to try a Rwanda Washed Bourbon profile than one from Brazil).
Same goes for Process. A white honey proces profile is likely a closer match to a yellow honey profile than a black honey profile would be.

The beauty of the Ikawa is that you roast so small portions that allows for experimentation and personal adjustments without much waste.

Hope it helps.

I agree with @nhsnielsen and would also like to add a couple things. First, I like to use this profile to sample a bean, I like it because it _usually_emphasized text__gets to first AND second crack. But I think another one needs to be made for less dense beans.

https://share.ikawa.support/profile_home/?CAESEA0uIykWR0V5snp6gs6PpUUaD1N1bSBtYW4gNS4xNzE0MiIFCAAQ9AMiBgj9ExCODyIGCO0bEIsRIgYIsh4Q+BQiBgj1IhDrFSIGCOwlEJIWKgUIABDPASoGCOwlEMsBMAE6BgjaLxDNAUIKCgASABoAIgAoAA==

You can also find profiles not only on your app but we have posted some around the site as well.

Thank you Deven. I will try that and amend it based on the outcome.

Thanks for the detailed reply Niels. This is very helpful for a newbie at roasting.

Deven, is your goal there to go to second crack with new/unknown beans, or just to have a profile capable of going longer than necessary so that you can manually drop prior? I’m also curious how you use taste information to change the way you roast it the next time. Thanks.

Adjusting Profiles Based on Taste

Yes, the first time around the sample roast is basically to go pretty much fully all the way through, if I smell something interesting I’ll stop it there. But I also use it to see what is in 1C or 2C (or anywhere in between) and for the most part see what the bean has in it, when I drink it.

I was thinking about writing up/adding to how I adjust profiles currently but just haven’t really had any drive to do so. For the most part finding out by comparison at what temp does the bean usually color at. This last PNG I had, took on normal color about 10F (around 3C) hotter than previous beans, as an example. If its too “brown” flavor-wise, chocolaty, malty, syrupy i’ll try and shorten the profile which will also cause adjusting the end point some odd degrees hotter for more acidity (but really i should keep the endpoint the same for a good comparison). For me with a normal profile I don’t think Ive gone above 523F around over 7min profiles and usually my profiles are 7-9min but sometimes 10-11min long. Lately Ive been thinking about shortening profiles like:Proof that Aliens Exist, there’s much to do with so little time.