Rwanda Gatare (Nordic approach)

5 lbs in and I finally got one that seemed right! https://share.ikawa.support/profile_home/?CAESEIEmhRLenUb7m+XRA3+pY1waCVJ3YW5kYSBGNiIFCAAQ9AMiBgiEBRD5EyIGCJYIEO4OIgYI2BAQphAiBgitJxDGEiIGCKA4EKkTKgUIABDHASoGCLgLELwBKgYIoDgQoAEwAToGCKhGENMB
It’s for a different Rwanda, but also hard AF bean.

That looks like an Andino type profile. Did you try a Burundi type profile?
Given that Burundi and Rwanda are neighbours I would have thought there might be some similarities. I’m finding that the Ethiopian Kochere type profile works well with the Kenyan I have. Again neighbouring countries.
I’ve got small quantities of a Rwandan and a Burundi coming next week.

So … i think this may be quite surprising set of batches. Inspired by the blogpost and Deven, i tried Rwanda F6 profile that I find quite interesting on the remains of this Rwanda. I went for 30g batches and only chnged the time, in 30s intervals. May seem ceazy but so far from 8:30 up to 11 sll seem to be legitimate roasts … last one i may go up to 12 just to see

Ok so here it is. The samples are left to,right from shortest to longest roast.
I went to 12minutes for the last one, and that one seems to a little too far, but the moisture loss is probably wrong on that one, when last two 30s steps ment 0.1g step its hard to imagine a 1g step in next 2x30s

Otherwise it should be from 11,6 % at 8:30 through 13,6% at 10:00 to 14,6% at 11:00 (or 21.3 at 12:00 but that is probably an error)

From chewing on the beans i guess 12 minutes might be a bit too far but did not taste of too much roast really, the 8.30 had a bit of those “yellow” tastes … litlle bread maybe … so it might be too short but I will see how it works in the cup.

Anyway there are almost 4 minutes between those roasts, and they may all be legitimate and appealing to someone … this width surprised me even though I knew the window is pretty wide. I wanted to do 15s intervals but started with 30s and it did nit let me make shorter ones at all (used all my Rwanda here)

And íne more with different exposure because in the first one the longest roast seems to be black which it is not

@stephen.pickering21 Those areas all share, what you should be looking at, bean variety(cultivar) altitude and processing.

@pavel great luck, hope you find the fruits of your labor :wink:

I have tried one roast of a Rwandan on the Burundi profile but it was my least favourite so far. The acidity was a little clearer and sharper but the body had little sweetness.
I much prefered the Rwanda F6 profile.
The one I’m playing about with is this profile which has delivered a very nice roast
‘Rwanda BUF#1 | 50g’ freshly roasted by @ikawacoffee, here’s the recipe #IKAWAHOME - https://share.ikawa.support/profile_home/?CAESEDlW90KgdkMsoOA5McoOuhIaElJ3YW5kYSBCVUYjMSB8IDUwZyIFCAAQ9AMiBgjtAhCIDSIGCPYGEKwQIgYIsg4Q8BEiBgiFHBDcEiIGCIspEPMSKgUIABDNASoGCIspEKYBMAE6Bgj5MxDIAQ==

What time are you stopping it? And when are you hearing the start of 1C?

The only crack I heard on this one was at 6:58. It ran the full course finishing at 8:45

@stephen.pickering21
I’m not trying to take you cave exploring or anything but if your not getting the chorus of 1C I think its because you are racing through your yellow and then taking the acids well through development and beyond. Does this match your tastes? Are you getting non distinct flavors, maybe some dry cacao and then “coffee” flavor? To me dropping within a minute, 5-15s will get you “light”, 30s will get you “medium” and 45s will be “dark” flavor wise: nuts, chocolate, maybe tobacco etc.

Are you looking at the rate of rises during each phase? It would seem that you are not getting a chorus because there is not enough momentum/speed, the last two phases are around 7*/min and 1*/min. Slow through yellow will get you some acids to play with during a fast through brown. Those acids will develop to juice or fruit or something else.

@pavel
nice dude! I didn’t even see those last two posts! I agree that 30s is a good starting point, and once you have an area you like…tweaking for 15s helps dial it in even better. It is excruciatingly annoying trying to move a point by some small amount. With only 30g apiece I would think you don’t have a lot of tastings…are you doing 10g tastings? I tend to do about 100g when I’ve found something I think I’ll like and see what some rest does with it.

On the contrary, this is one of the best roasts I have made so far. It has good sweetness and an amazing thick pannacotta creamy body with some distinct apricot flavour and low acidity. Nice caramels also.

I have also tried an Ethiopian natural on this profile with a lower end point which cracked merrily for around 45 secs starting at 6:40 and stopped at 8:40. It was sweet with distinct blueberry and lime and boozy natural funk.

hmmmm verrrryy interesting, if I had some more blueberries I would like to try it. But I’ve blown through them all and now I’m on to some Guatemalan caramels.

Were you able to smell any of those flavors during the roast?

No I didn’t attempt to smell the roast at any point instead directly venting it.
The other interesting thing was that at no point did the dry beans give off much aroma. But when ground they did and blueberry was very evident in the wet aroma. It was also very consistent over the 3 days I brewed it.
I also roasted this bean on the Shakiso profile which was a marginally better roast but the acidity moved markedly day to day.

oh interesting, how are you venting it?

Straight up an old central heating flue pipe in a kitchen cupboard which previously housed an old gas boiler.
It’s currently too cold for direct outside ventilation from a door or window. Last time I tried it the roaster failed due to cold air flicking the roasters thermal circuitry.
If I don’t vent the smell pervades too much for my liking.

Ok, i tasted the longes 12 minute roast. Made espresso 18g 1:2 ratio, 91C water, my usual style. Ground it looked way darker than I am used, but not too roasty aroma … and the espresso was simillar, good, fullbodied, but lacking on acidity of cause and having quite present a layer of bitterness - but not strong one, I would say too much for my liking but well bellow of what most of the people are used to.
I find this very interesting, and I am looking forward to find out where the sweet spot will be …

Great to hear of your experiments! I have been guilty many times of subscribing to one style, only to be blown away by a coffee that’s way outside my normal window. I would become very focused on small details within an ever narrowing window, chasing what I thought was the best direction. Then, I would have something totally different and realize that I was way off in my approach. Nice to have that perspective and it means that when I begin roasting a new coffee, I start with a much wider window on my first roasts and narrow down from there on the next set.

Hey all … sorry for a bit of silence. My tooth did break leaving me with a big hole reacting with crazy pain to coffee, so I had to pause and wait for a repair first. Today I had a temporary fix made, so I will resume, though unhappy that I had the samples waiting for so long.

I only managed one more tasting, of the 11 minute roast. Which though looking still pretty dark after grinding tasted pretty good. Very juicy, big fat body, allmost no noticeable roast flavours.
Interesting really. I expect 10:30 - 10:00 to be really amazing.

So, today I was able to go through the 10:30 and 10:00 samples. 10:30 was simillar to 11 … a lot of body and juicy. There were some almonds in the aroma, overall I would call it almost ballanced though still leaning more towards the body.
10:00 had less body and more juiciness, loads of fruits, strong acidity. Not ballanced but very much to my liking, I like more acidity …
Both very much pleasing and if I have bought a bag of that roast I would find it nice and interesting, and would not complain at all :wink:

Looking forward to those last 3 samples. If the tooth holds up well I should be able to go through them fast.

Sorry about your tooth, Pavel! Glad you can drink coffee again!