Shakiso Natural Sidamo Guji, Ethiopia

naturalprocess
ethiopia
ikawagreen
greencoffee

From the Sidamo region of Ethiopia, this is a classic natural process Ethiopian coffee. Naturals tend to be creamy in texture, big on berry flavours and sweetness. Look out for the brightness when pulled as an espresso. The majority of the complex and unique flavours are due to the processing method.

What do you think? A winner? Were you able to find the tasting notes?

This one (and the Colombia) are my top from the collection :slight_smile: Thank you for them … and … well … looking forward to some great natural processed Africans in the future …

I really enjoyed this one using the Burundi profile. As nice an example of the Ethiopian natural process as I’ve had in recent times. Plums berries and cherries. First cup had a tart citric finish (overnight post roast) but none of the other brews did.

Did you use the provided profile?

The Columbian is bottom of my list so far (still nice though). Only the Brazilian left to try.

I will have to try that burundi profile for it. I have tinkered with both ethiopian profiles, making the tad bit brighter … but just a very miniscule changes.

Great notes @stephen.pickering21. I will have to try this coffee with the Burundi profile! Regarding the Colombia, it is one of the lighter roasts and you may find better results using the Burundi profile. I loved it as an espresso using our IKAWA Espresso Roast 2.

Thanks Geoff, I will try that next time. I did enjoy it but for me the Africans are superb. I roasted a sample of this Columbian for a fellow coffee enthusiast who thought it was very good.

I will for sure go through all the africans at your espresso roast … still have at least a bag of every one Ikawa coffee so … ready to se them in a different light :slight_smile:

Just tried this via filter after using the supplied “correct” profile. It really brings out the chocolate aftertones missing from using the Burundi profile. Prefer this roast version.
It is a superb coffee.

So I am posting this there because I guess I want to keep things organized in a way. And since the coffee I roasted is also a Dry/natural process (http://community.ikawacoffee.com/tags/naturalprocess), from: Sidamo, Guji, Ethiopia I thought it best to list it here.

In the Dry Aroma was full, medium complexity, distinct Blueberry fruit. Wet aroma was blueberry again some grain like notes. In the cup I got full on dried blueberry almost exactly like eating the jiffy corn muffin, or honey bunches of oats blueberry (not the cereal part). Aroma in the cup was blueberry, hot taste was way too Millard/Umami, as the cup cooled I got distint blueberry again (dehydrated/sweet), cranberry type acidity, the cup was a little thin but juicy like outer layer of mochi, the finish was 60% dark chocolate, and molasses

I stopped at 9:00 with way more blueberry when I tasted the dry bean after completely cooled down. I’m sure stopping at 5s or 10s earlier would be even better. Since it went a little to far into 1st Crack (1C).

https://share.ikawa.support/profile_home/?CAESEOmP1xZr70D2vF5ZcDUDhUkaDU1hcnNoYWwgZXRoZW8iBQgAEPQDIgYIlQgQogoiBgioEBCKDiIGCMMgEJgSIgYImSsQwhMqBQgAENEBKgYImSsQzwEwAToGCMoyEMcB

Mimicking the Pro

Day 2: strait up molasses…

I re-roasted this profile again to see if will bounce back in a weeks time, so far I have 5 total tastings left. On a side note I did another roast where I put a constant 78% fan speed and drinking it right now. The molasses is on the forefront of the smell but taste is blueberry with a very long blueberry lingering in the aftertaste. I’m sure it will turn to molasses tomorrow and the key I feel is going shorter on the roast.

Great reading @deven.patel411 … and I wish I can be once able to give a description of the taste and aroma on a simillar level. Many times I just dont know how to describe that tone well.

Btw … seems that Guji Natural is very very nice coffee in any version I have tasted or read about this year. Though its not one and the same, all have very interesting flavour profiles .

It’s no mystery, once, I wrote to some well regarded pro’s in the coffee world. I asked them how to taste coffee better and get these descriptions that they were tasting. They emphasized that I just need to drink more good coffee. On the face of it I agree with what they said, but as I have explored through lots of different food cultures/hobbies I’ve found that it is not very true. Just letting your palate getting used to the medium is good, sure. But it’s not like I got used to bitter coffee or bitter IPA’s I can still taste bitter. I just was able to get desensitized to it. But in regards to roasting, that the flavors are already there and very apparent if you roasted the bean rigth. Keep roasting and learning and you’ll discover the tasting. I’m sure who ever still has a DP Guji, Ethiopia bean can use the profile and get taste-able results. But still unless they figured out the roaster and how it roasts people wont be able to hone in a profile to their bean.

Sure - I think expanding the “database” by tasting a lot of great coffee is very important (and its also a reason why I usually get about 10 different coffees a week through my daily visits to local baristas :slight_smile: ) - but, my bigest struggle is to be able to describe well what I am tasting - there are some pretty obvious tastes of cause … but quite often giving a name to some of the fruity or spicy tones is driving me mad (when I cant find the fruit in my head that I know i DO KNOW it, I recognize the taste, but still … can not find its name in my head … ) Sure its also because I am not used too much to deconstruct any tastes in this way, as I do not cook - so analyzing a food to tell what ingredients are inside it - cant do this.

I liked a lot the way you described your Guji … it made me feel the tastes almost :slight_smile:

In that case, I suggest that you start making tea’s out of things, in other words a tisane. Which is something steeped in hot water. Fruits, herbs, spices, etc. Just do one taste at a time, and slowly you will build your tasting “lexicon”. By doing it through a tisane or beverage you will also create an association by drinking the flavor and warm water helps aromatize (lol this spell checker thinks I spelled aromatize wrong :D) the taste. Wino’s buy a kit that helps them smell distinct flavors, like horse blanket. But just start paying attention to your nose and it will come naturally in time.

glad it made sense, I feel like half the things I say only make sense to me. :+1: