Success with Kona beans

roasting

I have some Kona beans that were harvested 2.5 years ago and sent to me by my brother who lives in Captain Cook, in the Kona belt, in Hawaii. These were grown by his neighbour. They are the real thing.
It is difficult to roast Kona because the beans, even if grown on a mountain side, are relatively soft. And of course the ones I have are pretty dry, although I have stored them reasonably well.
After a lot of experimentation, previously in my Gene Café and now in my Ikawa Home roaster, I have found that the recommended recipe for Finca Puerta Verde Guatamala gives a good result. Brewed in a Chemex, they yielded an EY of 25%, and a clear flavour profile. Very tasty.

What a great connect to have! I can never convince myself to pay for some Kona beans. I glad you found something, I just got done roasting some Guatemalan beans today. I used:

https://share.ikawa.support/profile_home/?CAESEOrOPL/4ukgLiOGeOvCYnWkaEU1hcnNoYWwgZXRoZW8tMTAqIgUIABD0AyIGCJUIEKIKIgYIqBAQig4iBgjDIBDbESIGCLkrEPcSKgUIABDLASoGCLkrEMwBMAE6BgjtNBCZAQ==

I stopped the roast around 20s after hearing the start of 1C

Btw do you see any correlations between the two roasters? Are you using the ikawa to find a profile before you do a larger capacity?

The Gene measures the exhaust temperature only, and the element is controlled by an on-off switch which toggles between three or four degrees as the exhaust temperature rises towards your setting. For me, this makes the whole procedure very hit and miss, mostly miss. I will try sometime to transfer a profile from the Ikawa to the Gene.

Today I roasted another 50g of Kona with the Guatamala profile. I recorded the roast by putting a fast-reacting, thin-wire tc over the roasting chamber and taking readings with a data-logger at 30 sec intervals.

I forgot to add:
The beans began to pale at 3 mins
Browning began an 4 mins
First crack begun at 6 mins 3 seconds
The roast ended - Cooling began - at 6 mins 40 seconds, while first crack was still happening.

I think I will extend the roast a bit to get it clearly past first crack.

Looks really cool! What was the program you used to graph? As the graph shows that dip at 6 min is a lot of flavor loss. Especially with the higher than needed ramp to first I think is where I would get a lot of either burnt caramels or just a loss of flavor. The low temp of the crack is a good sign. And trying to even the graph so it’s more direct to first will help develop those acids into flavor. I wouldn’t drop later than you already have, I would say drop even earlier. I roast guat for the fruit and florals. and depending on that ramp to first (its hight and speed) from the transition of green to yellow will set you for either fruits or chocolate.

Thank you for your observations. I hadn’t even noticed that dip at 6 minutes. I’ll try to edit the profile to follow your recommendations. The program I use is called Numbers; it comes with Apple iOS and Mac OS X.