Tanzania Iyela NA

So, I had to drink my testroasts and it took me some time, but today I had a go on this very interesting bean. First 3 test batches, and it looks quite interesting and new experience. My classic TP2 /modified Shakiso/ that I allways try as the first for africans simply did not work, at the start the beans barely moved at all, suggesting very heavy abd dense beans, but it did fly through the colour changes very fast, and I dont expect much from its tastes.
Then I tried Rwanda F6 profile that looked very promissing and the beans developed slowly and the colour changes were nicely separated. I guess it will be better but not the best. And last one I tried with TP6v2 /modified Kochere/ (i will upload screenshots of all of them) and that one, though faster changing, seems the most promissing of them all. From chewing on the beans only the last one exhibited some fresh acidity …
Will tell you more later after we run that through espresso :wink:

The coding for my test of noting colour changes is - Pale Yellow Golden Caramel Brown

Nice overview (curious to the screenshots), thank you for sharing.

Do I read it correctly that with the first batch (1st photo) you had 1st crack @8:13 ?:flushed:

Hey @rsegers :slight_smile: yeah … you are right, first crack with Rwanda F6 profile started at 8:13, and I am not absolutely sure when it ended because I remember only like two or three pops … like the first at 8:13 and then one about 8:30 …and after that I am not very sure what I heard at all :slight_smile:

After a first round of tasting the extremely fresh from roast (roasted late night and prepared early morning) espressos, I can say the Rwanda F6 and TP6v2 were different but both nice, TP2 not so interesting and too far into maillard for me. There was no concesus upon which one had better acidity from those two, but more probably the Rwanda F6, TP6v2 being more rounded and gentle. But both had the acidity present and quite obvious. Its interesting how different this Tanzania is to Etiopias or Kenyas, being more gentle and sort of well mannered I would say, not being spiky and all around the place (which is actually what I like and prefere in africans, I like them bold and crazy :)) but this one is completely different, still very nice and pleasant experience, and a coffee I can imagine drinking for quite a long time… )

Nice, it’s curious how the shortest roast has the longest Millardy flavor.

Yes, really interesting. I did a few roasts on Rwanda F6 where I recorded colours so, when I put it all together I will show it here.

Hi Pavel. Can you provide some context please, so that I can make sense of your findings?
What is the varietal, process, elevation of the greens?
Screenshots of the profiles you are talking about?

I understand from the above that you have some Tanzanian beans you have roasted 3 ways and you prefer one that is based on a Kochere type profile.

HasBean here in the UK did have a Tanzanian Kent varietal natural for sale which sounded pretty wild in flavours but it’s all gone now.

Its a Kent, 1850 meters elevation …

Here are the screenshots

Are you noticing any nice aromas coming from the exhaust? Towards the end of the roast, right before first crack or post 1C? When I got the blueberries in my (Ethiopian) cup I could smell it very strongly while the coffee was still roasting. Not during the cooling, but when I tasted a bean it tasted and smelled in my mouth and nose of blueberry (some didn’t but this was a “Heirloom Variety” *the three heirlooms of Ethiopia as a grade 3 so hit and miss kind of deal for me). But it was prominent all the way through grinding, brewing and drinking. When I opened the storage container it wafted. I cannot emphasis enough that it was not only distinctly blueberry but also very specific type of blueberry (dehydrated muffiin/honey oats blueberry). I am not saying this as bravado (of course you know), but as the “goal” I think we should shoot for… Are you getting any distinct flavors? If not you should try tweaking a single profile until you find it. Anything over 85pts. will taste good, trying to make/tweak a profile to get the tasting notes on the package is IMHO the trick to getting this roaster solved.

Process?:wink:
Makes sense now. Thanks.
Just been looking up the Kent varietal. Seems it is a typica mutation from India. Interesting.

Red fruits, florals, soft and sweet.
Creamy and sweet texture with stonefruit and citrus
Good acidity, malic, clean,
Sweet, red grapes, smooth mouthfeel.

These are the tasting notes.

What I am not getting (or maybe not understanding fully in the taste) are the red fruits/red grapes

All the rest being quite obvoius there, but the red fruitness … nope … i dont get it :wink:

To your question Deven - there is a very distinct pleasant smell during roasting it, round and smooth, sweet and kind of floral - its very much like how it tastes.

I’ve been finding that if you increase the fan speed at 1C the acidity goes up at the expense of some body.

Fully washed if I recall it well

Hello

here are finally my recorded colours:

Enjoy:)

Nice! Fascinating actually, how did you create that vid, especialy with the color histogram? And what are the rise and falls in that histograms (what do they represent). By the way, the sound is gone @4:29

Yes, the sound drives me crazy. But it takes two hours to get the video out, so after two times trying to fix it i resigned.

I will write some more about the process in half an hour when I am at studio.

don’t worry about the sound, I’d rather that you put e.g. this under it.

Personally I would choose https://youtu.be/NldPFVKYmiw but yours I like too.

We talked a little about another one of Pavel’s recorded colors here:

@pavel, nice work again

That’s also a great choice and indeed very applicable. The other thread clears up a lot, thnx!

by the way, if you choose Sinatra… then why not: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3MqmV47Lq8