Thinking to purchase Ikawa Home

So I’ve been thinking to get into roasting my own coffee. I’ve done some of the SCA courses. I own a sage barista pro espresso machine and I like the hasbean coffee which in Ireland is sold by 3fe. Do you think it’s possible to buy the green coffee from hasbean and roast it for espresso using the ikawa home to the same standards?

Yes you can, but if you just want to roast to the same standard, you may as well just buy the roasted coffee. The Ikawa is not going to save you money. If you want to experiment and enjoy the process, an IKAWA Home is a good choice.

Yep I was thinking it would save money as 2kg is about 50pounds/euro which would cost about the same for 1kg roasted. You think there’s a lot of waste roasting yourself? It doesn’t really save money for a home user?

I’m still interested as a hobby but I did think it would save me some money also :rofl:

Bonjour
il n’y a pas de déchet avec l’Ikawa, vous perdez du poids entre café vert et café torréfié de l’ordre de 20%. Donc si votre café torréfié coûte deux fois plus cher que votre café vert, il est évident que vous allez faire des économies. J’utilise l’Ikawa depuis quelques semaines seulement, Le premier mot qui vient c’est le mot génial, le fait de ne torréfier que 50 g à la fois peut-être à première vue un inconvénient compensé à mon avis par l’aspect reproductible des profils de torréfaction, exemple je torréfie une fois par semaine, et je fais deux ou trois torréfactions à la suite. Cela embaume la cuisine dans laquelle je torréfie. Donc oui des économies et l’odorat est aussi gratifié.

Let’s take the outstanding Ana Sora from hasbean as example:
2 kg roasted cost 60.80 GBP
2 kg green cost 48.00 GBP

Green beans looses 15-20% weight when roasted thus 2 kg home-roasted will cost between 55,2-57,6 GBP per 2 kg. A saving of less than 2.5 GBP/kg.

Then you need to calculate the cost of the machine: at 970 GBP divided by 2.5 GBP savings, you have to roast 388 kg before breaking even - and I haven’t included electricity and your time:

IKAWA roasts 50grams at a time. That means you’ll need the power on for more than 45 roasts to end up w. 2 kg roasted beans - that has an electricity price tag. Finally your time - the latter is no problem if it is a hobby, but it is hard to see the project as a cost saving proposition.

I will recommend the IKAWA for the fun of it, but don’t fool yourself;)

Appreciate the honest reply. Hoping there might be a Black Friday sale on the machine. 600£ would be a nice price for a hobby but doubt it will go that cheap

I would equate coffee to something like beer brewing, or various horticulture, or carpentry. It’s by far not cheaper, and usually people who do it weather pro or hobby are serious as roses. I don’t recommend roasting inside unless you have a way to vent out the exhaust. But the expensive aspect is time and learning not toys and playing with your beans. You’ve got to really like coffee, these pro roasters are pro’s, so to get coffee like theirs you are going to have to learn what they know and probably push beyond. But similar to chocolate, once you have learned how to do it, can execute it, you can source the best ingredients and discover tastes beyond you wildest dreams. If you like exploring and figuring stuff out and drinking good coffee, than sure, Roasting can be a fun hobby. But if your not careful than you can ruin your palate, and be disappointed in 90% of cafe visits. Roasting is perhaps the deepest part of the coffee forest, or can be, so it’s really about knowing yourself. The Ikawa Home is a good tool learn on because of the small batches, roasting fast is possible but it would probably be up to you to discover how. The forum here is generally pretty quite, the roaster is not quite and should be vented. It is an air roaster so not a lot of info online is about air roasting, but a decently intelligent person should not have a problem. I’ve yet to try coffee from shops/roasters that beat my best and I’m using good but not amazing beans. But since I am still learning and exploring I try not to stick to a profile when I found a good one but continually tweak from the good profile to see how it effects the roast. All that to say the highs are high and the lows are low. But this addict needs that hot bean juice.