Using Artisan with Home Roaster

I’ve put a couple of thermocouples in the roaster to measure environmental and bean temperatures.

And attached them through a digital thermometer to an iBook running Artisan 2.0. Here is a roast profile using Ikawa espresso profile 801 242 on 50g of washed Guatemala:

Dark blue line: bean temp
Red line: environmental temp
Light blue line: rate of rise

I would really like to see more of these and hear more of your findings about what tastes good etc. Great post!

I’ve only just begun to log toasts this way. So far, all I find is that studying the profiles makes me more attentive to timings and temperatures.

We’ll keep them coming! And just a note: make sure you take notes of when some good flavors/aromas happen and label your batches. It sucks to roast a bunch of batches and something smells or tastes good later and you can’t figure out which one it is or what profile you used. Just IMHO

Sorry for my ignorance. I am totally blank here: I’d be very interested in experimenting with these data, but have never worked w. Artisan before.
If you don’t mind I’d love to know what parts are needed to do this, and where they can be bought.
Also how do you manage to get the probes into the roaster?

Here’s the setup seen whole:

And a close-up of the digital thermometer (Amprobe TMD-56):

As you can see in the photo in my previous email, I’ve just bodged the probe cables between under lid of the roaster and bent them to go where I want. They stay in place when I lift the lid for cleaning.
All of the items I’ve used are easily available on the internet, from e-Bay and Amazon or other sites you can find with Google. Artisan 2.0 is free software you can google and download.

Very helpful - Thank you! These parameters could be interesting to explore.