What have I done wrong?

Papua New Guinea made up profile. Probably not hot enough for long enough?

Could be a combination both! On first glance I would say this was a very, very light roast (even as light roasts go). Also the outside of a bean can sometimes only tell part of the story. Take a bean from the batch with an average colour level, split it open and see if the colour is even throughout (not just darker on the outer, which may indicate high/fast roasting).

Perhaps you could detail here what sort of temp, time you used, for some input from the more experienced roasters here. You may need to ramp up the temp slightly, but ultimately i’d suggest more development time to achieve more colour.

You could set the final point to a ridiculous time, say 10min & watch the roast progress. I like to shine a very bright torch into the roasting chamber, or even roast outdoors. When you reach a roast level you think looks to your preference, just hit the big shiny silver button you use to start the roast, this will force the machine to go through a cooling cycle.

Log the time you hit the button, photograph, taste. Alter the time accordingly.
I must stress I find it quite important to keep logs, on just about everything I can when I roast. Anything from movement of beans (fan speed), to what colours the beans change to and when. I even weigh in and out, just so I can better understand how much further % I have roasted a particular bean on a new profile.

Roasting with the Ikawa home roaster can be very much an automated process if you want it to be. However there is still a bit of a learning curve if using new beans/profiles for the first time. It’s always going to be a bit hit and miss.

Just to reiterate my most important tip, set the roast time long and stop early when the desired roast level is reached by sense of sight/smell. This process should be exciting, not laborious. Don’t be afraid to experiment & perhaps be prepared to commit some roasts to the compost heap :rofl:

I think some requirements of a good roast:

Heated enough to expand and easy to grind.

Somewhat even color.

Getting 1C

My advice:

Buy some pro-roaster coffee, and take your time in roasting and read the stuff on the site.

Some stuff I’ve filtered through from the site (start at the bottom):

Thanks for a comprehensive reply. The profile was 240c after 1 minute then down to 220 for a total of 8 minutes. I had a cooler cycle first time but it was as bad. I keep the green beans in an Airscape container and have had them about 3 months. I’ll try higher temp and longer.

Also I may just try the City Roast profile.

The 220*C is what killed it, or at least…didn’t let it hatch. I woulnd’t go by any other temp indicators besides the ones others and myself have seen 1C happen 460-480F/237-248C (for roasts I usually prefer) with listed on this forum talking about the Ikawa at Home, or ones that you personally have observed. But really all the things I have thought for fundamentally understanding how to roast have been said here already and now I am moving on to posting about different bean and varietal observations now that things like temp of 1C have been established (in my eyes).

If you are so inclined, set up experiments with varying temperature ranges and how to get there. Apply all the things that would make a good experiment reliable, information for you to look back on. Or spend the time reading…there is also the Fruit for Thought thread where I listed a lot of resorces to help think about when roasting.

I would not suggest just blindly throwing beans in the roaster and trying something. There’s not alot of info that can be surmised from that approach. But instead try and formulating an idea or hypothesis using established norms on the site and then plot a course. And like Christo said, take notes.

The problem for us is not only are we on a new roaster but the kind of information that everyone (pro or home) look for are just not readily available. And I have found just giving an answer is fairly bean specific (lol). Also I suck at Central Americans atm and haven’t figured out a reliable profile except the one listed in the Immediate Use thread.

So just to reitterate spend the time reading rather than experimenting, unless you learn better that way. And possibly make the times I’ve hand ground roasts like the ones in your pic with my Hario hand mill worth it.