Yemen Mocha Matari

I have a kilo of Yemen Mocha Matari green beans. I suppose they are similar to something from Ethiopia, as the plant seems to have been transplanted from there 400 or 500 years ago. Can anyone suggest an Ikawa profile to use as a starting point?

Looking at the stock Ikawa profiles, I’d be tempted to give the Kenya Maganjo a try for filter.
I had a Yemen from Hasbean last year that was terrific (watermelon). I don’t have the profile now but it was a very simple r shape. Peaked lower than the Maganjo one but broadly similar.
It was a very dense bean grown up to 2400m.

I only got 250g as it was very expensive.

Might be a possible starting point?

Another one might be the Ethiopia Zeleke filter.
Which actually looks closer to what I did.

I’d probably try them both for comparison.

They both have espresso variants as well.

Thank you, Stephen. I’ll give the espresso variants a try. (I drink very little filter coffee these days.)

Matt

Matt are the beans from Pennine tea and coffee in the UK? I sometimes buy from them. Quality generally seems good and there’s not many UK places selling 1kg bags.

Good Yemeni coffees (only had 2 in total) are really amazing flavour profiles.

That they can still produce some coffee during the terrible war there is quite some feat but obviously driving up prices.

Let us know how you get on.

Yes, I bought my greens from Pennine Tea and Coffee. Previously, I bought 250g of the same bean roasted from what I think is their associated company, White Rose Coffee Roasters, to see if I liked the taste. I had never had Yemen beans before and I was amazed by how unique, in my experience, is the flavour.
Three days ago, I tried the espresso versions of the two profiles you suggested; and too impatient to wait longer for degassing, I pulled both of them yesterday and today as plain espresso. They are very light roasts, measured by my Tonino they both rate 121 (only 9 points from the lightest on the Tonino scale (130). The Ethiopian profile extracts easily (EY 21.2%); the Kenyan, less so (17.8%). The flavour of the former is reminiscent of the White Rose beans, but fainter. The latter was much less pleasing.
My next step will be to roast the beans much darker, to emulate the profile of the White Rose beans, which measured 84 points on the Tonino (“medium” according to the Tonino). (The Ikawa roasts were labelled “cinnamon” by the meter). I’ll ago roast some more beans with the Ethiopian Zeleke profile and give them a longer rest before using them.

I’d wager not weighing the color of the bean too much in proportion to the development or flavor. Since we can alter the development in time ratios much easier than relying on pushing temp or final temp drop. Yemen beans tend to be smaller than Ethiopians (effecting the fan speed) but from the same origin and similar latitudinal lines these similarities (I’ve seen) can help shape more similar profiles. Though the densities of the bean will change how it accepts heat, effecting the ROR of the BT and in these air roasters inevitably the ET because ET follows usually so proportionally counteracted by the water of the bean. If I am not getting flavors I like or the complexity is disproportionate to what I think is best, I look to change the moisture loss as this can be the most significant factor when it comes to flavor changes and then alter duration and temp of the segments to effect complexity. I think optimal extraction (extraction yield altered by final temp) would be in the 23-25% but the most flavorful is in the 21-23% (imo) higher extraction alters the mouthfeel and can mask flavors. I think Yemen beans can do extremely well on the darker/and less developed side of the spectrum.

What changes to the profile were you thinking of? What flavor profile are you aiming for?

Here’s my 2 pence profile

‘ME+H3 Yeahman’ freshly roasted by @deven.patel411, here’s the recipe
https://share.ikawa.support/profile_home/?CAESEHhx+yPy2E4urKHuovwnrKAaDU1FK0gzIFllYWhtYW4iBQgAEPQDIgYIxQIQiA4iBgjeAhDfBiIGCJYJELkOIgYIngwQpBAiBgizJRCrEyIGCJkrEMITKgUIABDGASoGCJkrEKwBMAE6BgihORDMAUImChwzdEpyTXBnYUJCV2NvN3haQ3VCZGpKb1BIRnAyEgAaACIAKAA=

I roasted 50g of my Yemen beans yesterday with this profile. I’ll let them de-gas for a few days before trying them and then report back. Thanks.

It seems nowadays most of my profiles take an unusual (for me) amount of time (10 days) to rest before the beans even start to smell/taste close to what I want. This is not what I want, since I believe the final reaction of flavor formation should take place and complete while still in the roaster, roasting, so the flavors and aromas should pop out of the roaster and pop out of the cup. I’ll have to spend some time, readjusting how I approach roasting on this machine and the profiles I can use. I hope the beans come out well, I look forward to hearing your review/take/adjustments.

Hi,
it would be an informative question. Since you wrote you’re drinking espresso, can you tell me what would you expect from Ikawa espresso profile different from their filter profile. I’d like to know because I am only espresso drinker. Thnx.

Cheers

Ikawa filter profiles, on the whole, are very lightly developed. It is difficult to extract much from them as espresso without particular techniques and equipment.

I believe we didn’t understand each other well. My question was, what would you expect from Ikawa’s espresso profile, since their espresso profile is lighter roasted. In my opinion there is not a lot of thickness or body developed. OK, that’s all preferential, but I didn’t find in their espresso profiles anything that amuses me more than in their filter profiles (perhaps I lose more than I actually get). That’s why I am interested to know what do you find in their espresso profiles?

Cheers!

Their Honduras Báscula espresso and filter profiles are unusual in the former being lighter than the latter. What I expect from a light espresso profile is for the clarity and subtlety of a properly developed light roast to combine with the intensity of high-pressure-extracted espresso to make a tasty, satisfying drink.

High-pressure-extracted as a tasty drink, that’s interesting to know.
Thnx.

Cheers!