Zimbabwe AB plus New years gift estate

Today I ran 3 samples of this (very interestingly named) coffee.
One with the LiteBrite extended, one with my TEstprofile2 and one with A extended.

Below see how they all came out of the roaster. I stopped them all cca 30s after the first crack stopped, and they ended on not too different weight loss … I will see how they taste tomorrow.

Here, in the meantime, I have something for @deven.patel411

I did cut a bean from all batches (using a REALLY sharp knife :smiley: ) and used a microscope I have bought for my sharpening needs, to see what those can tell us (the microscope has a very intensive led lights so its all lighted by them)

A extended
AExtended_Thu Jan 04 21-29-00

TP2
TP2_Thu Jan 04 21-32-34

LiteBrite extended
LiteBriteExt_Thu Jan 04 21-34-59

Please have a look at it Deven, as you have experience with analyzing the cross sections, but for me, one thing that seems to be confirmed that all of the beans are darker on the inside, which confirms what you have said, and, interestingly enough, at least to my eyes, the shortest and longest roast do not seem too different in the looks (though the shortest -LiteBrite- seems a little nicer and more even, though the A profile is probably overall a bit darker roast so it might be influenced by that)

If you can do some deeper analysis of what those pictures can tell, it would be great … looking forward to reading what you can see there.

I’d refer to the expert https://bootcoffee.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Ruling4_reprint_July05.pdf, I really enjoy reading his articles they are a great source of information. Not trying to say anything bad but give his article a read, the lighting reminded me of when Boot mentioned the topic.

As for the analysis of the cross section, you can check out home-barista’s defects pictorial thread: https://www.home-barista.com/home-roasting/coffee-roasting-defects-pictorial-t13587.html

another good read from Boot when analyzing a new coffee: https://bootcoffee.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Ruling1_reprint_Jan05.pdf

In my humble opinion, and I hope you don’t think I am criticizing you personally. I think all three are scorched. and reached 1C with too much heat, TP2 is hard to tell with the lighting but looks really dark (too dark) throughout with that smoke ring definitely apparent if you look at the bottom right of the pic (too much heat(too fast) during the yellow to chocolate color), and A profile looks like it hit 1C with too high a heat as well and 2C for a little bit too long. The light bright looks like it handled the heat well but ended up staying hot for too long, looks like it would have underdeveloped as well as over developed tastes when cupping (happened to me a lot, sour/acidic but char-y, burnt, distillate/grainy mouthfeel)
I have to say my A profile was tailor made to fit the one bean (Sumatra Peaberry) exactly, I wanted to show you guys that profile, to give you a good show and tell that on a profile which looks too low is made to match the profile of the bean. If I were to cup that A extended profile, I would def taste that char/ashy in the middle of the pic. I also wanted to give/show a profile that was what I accomplished. Almost a fully fledged profile (minus tweaking the fan),and one that is also pretty hard to manipulate. To show that parts of the profile affect other parts of the profile.
I would have posted pics like yours but my ability to capture lighting and stuff is not really my forte and my attempts on my iPhone 5 resemble my ability to take a photo. I’m glad you have the ability and capability to capture what I could not. I think this is really valuable and hope that you continue cutting beans from a batch looking at them, eating 1 or 2 and then cupping that roast (from 8-24hrs after roast).

Deven, no fear, I dont take anything personally and … also my belief is that if we just pat each others back saying how great everthing is, we wont be moving forward and learning. So - Thank you for you detailed comments .)

Also very nice links to materials that I can study, I allways appreciate this … Thank you!

Regarding the cross section pictures, I think the TP2 was just an error when I took the picture, that it moved to an angle where it reflected the light, it looked very simillar to the A profile and before I took the picture it looked all right, but it was probably too late evening and I focussed only on A and LiteBrite so … did not notice the reflection untill it was uploaded.

Of cause, I am fully aware that any profiles I use for my test roasts are not custom tailored to the beans. I dont even try to do this at the moment, as I said I think more about the large scale effects and not so much about manipulating one point or another … too early for that, at least for me. So …sure … I did not expect any of them to be like the perfect one. What I wanted to test was, how different the very short and very long profile (LiteBrite and A) behave in comparison to my go to profile for africans which is the TP2 (its actually the same as LiteBrite which is just moved to a slightly higher temperature if I understood it correctly). So I intentionally did not try to stop each roast at a point where I would “feel” it to stop, but stopped it cca 30s after crack stopped, which is my usuall mid point of where I stop. Clearly the fast roast ended a little less developed (well actually its not so little difference :)) ) and the slow roast ended a little more developed, but that is what I wanted to see.

Today we tasted the outcome at the roastery (espresso, which we allways do with my sample roasts) - all very clean and nice … the A profile felt a bit dark but not to a point where I would say its too dark to my taste, just a hint of that. And it had the acidity in a rounded form, sort of dried fruit acidity. The TP2 was the best, even cleaner, the acidity felt brighter and sharper, still having that roundness but from it some spiky curly protrusions of brightness … body still simillar volume as the A profile. I would just add 5-10s if I wanted a bit more body there and would be very happy with it.
The LiteBrite needed a little more development, very simillar acidity to TP2, but way less body, and some hints of underdeveloped taste, half yellow half green I would call it … on the edge of not being a nice taste but still acceptable as a part of the taste to a point I would say. I would think adding maybe 30s to this one would take it out of that region and into more body but still not too much sweetness and caramels region for me …

I understand what you mean by having those roasty taste from that defect you wrote about - I have to say I am so much used to having that little hint of that even on the best roasts, that I did not even thought it can be totally removed - knowing now that you managed to do it I will also try to get rid of this, as it would clean up and sharpen the tastes a lot.

Do you have some idea about how to make the overall colour the same? (now I dont talk about the small dark sports, but the lighter outside layer and darker inner layer - on the LiteBrite its gradient but still its there too) I think I can not use much less air and still have enought movement of the beans, but its there on the slow and fast roast without too much change in ballance I think, just the way its distributed is more sharp with A profile.

Regarding taking picture on iphone, you can buy attachable microscope lens, that uses the internal optics and sensor if iphones camera so you would get better picture actually (these have low resolution, but its usb microscope that uses its own sensor). I have purchased this one because it was available as an addon to my tsprof shapener so I just added it to check it out.

Nope not yet, I have 11lbs coming in so hopefully I’ll get a better insight.

i have no idea really I don’t know if you remember me saying this but roasting the inside and outside is like two eyes (like a chameleon) trying to focus both eyes, forward, on the same object(ive). If your fan speed is too low at the end and the heat is not enough, heat by temperature can cook the outside. A higher fan speed introduces more convection heat/friction (I think leans towards cooking the inside) but also decreases pressure (increasing internal temp). After 1c as I understand, is when the bean starts to become exotheric and at that time we can start affecting the outside color, however the inside is still cooking. So a balancing act and a race to the finish is occurring.
Personally I think you should focus on one profile at a time. Because I don’t think you can stop them at the same time and compare results. Because you’re changing which variable is the control. Rather than how the individual profile effects the bean. My belief is changing to: that any profile with the right proportion of timing/temp curve can achieve great/delicious results. Maybe they will taste different accenting different things but good non the less.

I am coming slowly to a similar conclusion. Not that it does not matter - i am seeing a hint of a pattern in what flavours are accented (or maybe not overpowered by other layers in some cases) by the different profiles.
Unintuitively for me, it seems to give me more of what I want with the faster, spiky profile (though I still think the slow and gentle approach should be better for the bean)
So far the long profile in all my test batches seemed to be on the more rounded side, emphasizing the mids, but not letting through the high sharp spikes - those seem to be more present in faster profiles with those spikes, though the even faster version did not bring much more of the brightness, but lacked very much in body.
Not making any conclusions yet, but so far this pattern seems to show through my batches.

If we manage to get a grip of larger amount of the same bean I would very much love to compare what different people tune their roasts towards.

Another round - tried to stop them earlier.